[kictanet] Legalizing Phone Tapping in Kenya?

Edith Adera eadera at idrc.or.ke
Thu Sep 29 12:15:17 EAT 2011

Listers,

Many of us may have missed the front page news in the nation newspapers yesterday given the flurry of activities at the IGF.

This idea poses many questions - is this the way to go? What are the implications? etc etc.

Coming at the time when Kenya is hosting the IGF begs for a debate and deep reflection as a country.

Can we have a public debate on this and inform the draft bill? The public hardly has the opportunity to debate bills that make their way to parliament (despite the new constitution enshrining this as a requirement - or is it a right?). I indeed hope this time it will be different given the over 20 million mobile users in Kenya - they have a stake in this.

Look forward to reactions.

Edith