[kictanet] Freedom of Information and Records Management (Day 7)

Grace Githaiga ggithaiga at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 26 01:01:40 EAT 2011

 Good morning Listers

I know most of us are now getting ready to attend the IGF and I can only imagine how busy some of you are. Having said that, we will still continue with our e-discussion on Aligning records management with ICT e-government and Freedom of Information in East Africa, a study conducted by International Records Management Trust (IRMT) and supported by IDRC, a study that covered five Eastern African Countries namely Kenya, Rwanda, Uganda, Burundi and Tanzania.

We will look at the the final theme of the study: Freedom of Information and Records Management. Under this theme, three issues were identified. They are:
Misconception of FOI in East Africa
Inconsistence between Acts of Parliament
Implications of government Record Keeping for freedom of information

Our focus today is on the first issue: Misconception of FOI in East Africa.
Consider this:
What does the term ‘Freedom of Information’ mean?
What misconceptions are there relating to this term?
What law(s) in Kenya and other East African countries, if any, govern Freedom of Information?
What steps have governments taken to ensure that a freedom of information law is passed?

Question
Are there factors that have caused lack of enthusiasm?
Lets hear it from you.
Rgds
Grace

_______________________________________________ kictanet mailing list kictanet at lists.kictanet.or.ke http://lists.kictanet.or.ke/mailman/listinfo/kictanet Unsubscribe or change your options at http://lists.kictanet.or.ke/mailman/options/kictanet/ggithaiga%40hotmail.com The Kenya ICT Action Network (KICTANet) is a multi-stakeholder platform for people and institutions interested and involved in ICT policy and regulation. The network aims to act as a catalyst for reform in the ICT sector in support of the national aim of ICT enabled growth and development. KICTANetiquette : Adhere to the same standards of acceptable behaviors online that you follow in real life: respect people's times and bandwidth, share knowledge, don't flame or abuse or personalize, respect privacy, do not spam, do not market your wares or qualifications.