[kictanet] Vizualisations on Student Teacher Ratio

bitange at jambo.co.ke bitange at jambo.co.ke
Thu Sep 22 20:32:02 EAT 2011

Listers,
Uwezo has deveoped a visualization tool on the distribution of teachers in
the country.  If you carefully review this piece of open data, you will
find that teachers had no case in the recent strike threat.  What is
disturbing is the growing number of decisions made without proper
scientific methods.

I am glad media tried to dismiss the teachers' case.  What the public did
not know is that once the contract teachers are confirmed, the same union
officials will demand transfers for their relatives from marginal areas
(often with teacher deficit) to surplus regions.  They will then use
marginal or deficit areas to ask for more recruitments.  The cycle will
continue.  Further the union dues will increase but education in marginal
areas will decline.

Can we be ever embrace rational approaches to decision making especially
on critical development programmes?  Where I come from teachers have
outsourced their services as they do their businesses or visit relatives
in far flung areas as in the US.  KNUT knows this and nobody bears
responsibility on the declining standards.  There is no performance
apparisal and if it was ever introduced 50% of teachers will go home.
Last year myself and three other friends randomly gave the past KCPE exam
to 10 teachers in five districts, only one scored 350.  We can do this on
large scale but I doubt that the result will be any different.  Can we
stand up and be counted on this.  Education is the foundation of any
nation.

Regards

Ndemo.

dangerous content by Jambo MailScanner, and is
believed to be clean.
"easy access to the world"