[kictanet] Open data initiative - how open is it?

John Gitau jgitau at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 12:43:26 EAT 2011

quick query on the governents open data:

Is there any way i can get actual raw data from the government portal for me
to run my own visualizer/ algorithm against?

What sort of data is available?

Can i get a look at that data? How open to analysis is it?

How much of it is there, how fast are updates? For instance if i wanted to
know the total number of students enrolled for kcse every year since 1990 to
date, categorised by county, gender, nationality etc...

how many Id's were issued month on month since 1990?

How many hospitals have been built since 1990, expansions? How much was
spent on health care vs education vs infrastructure vs education ?

Or maybe if i wanted to track governements spend per province since 1990,
broken down to each project, is that data available now? If not will it be
available in 2020 .... Ie is it being captured in a manner that will allow
us to make sense out of it, in ways we're probably not even thinking of yet?

I imagine as a net/cit-izen this data would be quite useful, if digested and
presented in a useful format. It would trigger interesting localized debates
etc...So if its not available, how can this be availed? how can we access
it?

Gitau

--
**Gitau