[kictanet] Registrar of Companies computerisation

Brainiac arebacollins at gmail.com
Fri Sep 9 22:37:43 EAT 2011

I think this is a topic that needs to be delved deeper with some specific
input (read explanation) from PS Bitange and Chair KICT Board. Would the
honourable (or honourable to be) members please shed light onto the
challenges of implementing the kind of ICT in Government being discussed
here?

On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 10:12 PM, Phares Kariuki <pkariuki at gmail.com> wrote:

> Some basic notes:
>
> -It is possible for government to be more efficient than the private
> sector. RDB is the first government in EA to launch a cloud platform....
> They are launching a cloud platform similar to what Safaricom recently
> advertised in the papers. They will go live in the next few months. The
> government has more fibre than the leading telco. Now, to put it into
> perspective, the Rwanda government is at par with the leading EA telco with
> regards to cloud computing platforms!
>
> - Undue bureaucracy - think about the passport application process for a
> minute. I'm supposed to bring my birth certificate (issued by the very
> government that is issuing the passport), my I'd card (issued by the very
> same government - which required me to have my birth certificate to get), my
> parents documents (again, issued by the government) and then they proceed to
> counter check the same against their records. For registration of companies,
> the government already has *all* this information.
>
> - Culture - We in Africa seem to be OK with slipshod delivery of paid
> services. The government does not politely request me for my taxes. It's not
> something I can opt out of. They take their taxes with clinical efficiency,
> before I can touch said finance. Its not that they lack the capacity to be
> efficient, its that they lack the will to be efficient. Worst bit about it
> is that its somehow OK.
>

> Granted, some good strides have been made especially in Information &
> Communication, however, if you think about it, the problem is that
> corruption has developed into its own economy and parallel incentive
> structure. Need a company registered?
>
> I was in Rwanda earlier today. I have to say that the nation is a breath of
> fresh air. We may be ahead, but Rwanda is geared to be the financial capital
> of EA, with the sort of efficiency that is in business and government there.
>
> We may not see the problem now, but Kenya is a very inefficient economy.
> Which is a disaster given that we hope to make our billions in the
> Technology/Financial and Hotel Service sectors.
> -kaboro-

*“The twentieth century has been characterized by three developments of
great political importance: the growth of democracy, the growth of
corporate power, and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of
protecting corporate power against democracy”*

~  Alex Carey ~

Tel No: 0x2af23696