[kictanet] Registrar of Companies computerisation

Rad! conradakunga at gmail.com
Fri Sep 9 21:28:06 EAT 2011

Well said sir. And to add to that it should be possible to search te
registry and find out anything about a company - shareholding, directors
etc.

It is laughable that an official can shamelessly tell us he has no idea who
a company's directors are!

On Friday, September 9, 2011, [ Brainiac ] <arebacollins at gmail.com> wrote:
> Personally I think this whole computerization is being looked at in
totally the wrong way, and for this I would blame the bean counters at the
ministry because tit is quite within reach to automate the whole process and
even enable remote registration of companies. Here is the scenario i have
always looked at:

> 1: Domain name registration is no different from company name
registration, both have names, need to be searched and are unique property
that can belong to only one person.

> 2: The time spent at the registry is a total waste, Why would it take
hours (and not milliseconds) to search if a name is available for
registration? If its stamp duty, there are means of making payments
including but not limited to Mpesa, just ask the Kenyans for Kenya guys. I
bet the operators would gladly support providing a standardized shortcode
purely for registration of companies.

> 3: Documents can be scanned and attached in an application, this in this
age and time is pretty acceptable, but for legal reasons this can be used
for initial pre-approval after which document verification can be done by
someone manually if need be at a later stage and appropriate action taken to
erroneous documents.

> 4: Lastly, a registration certificate can be printed online just as the
PIN certificate is printed. and Instead of ask all these documents
everywhere, GOK can provide an API for banks, security organizations,
hospitals, universities, schools and others that need documentation can just
pull it out so i dont have to produce tonnes of copies of my tattered KCPE
certificate to get a kazi kwa vijana job. I bet the reduction in paper usage
could earn the ministry some green points.

> 5: If all this is employed, there is no reason why registration should not
take 5 minutes if you have all the documents ready. And i bet Gava would
earn more from this....

> my 2cnts.
>
> On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 5:33 PM, Andrew Gesora <andy.gesora at gmail.com>
wrote:

>> I have just come back into the country after a bit of stay outside. With
the little savings i have, i thought i would have a registered company in a
week or at mot 2 weeks so as to take off. Now the lawyer comes back to me
and says, "it may take up to a month to complete the process, there have
been some changes done in the process". I always thought change should be
progressive and make things better?

>> On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 2:23 PM, Muchiri Nyaggah <muchiri at semacraft.com>
wrote:

>> With EAC integration picking up, I won't be surprised if it becomes a
more attractive option for Kenyan business owners to register their
enterprises in other member countries first. We maybe setting ourselves up
for a new kind of 'capital' flight if e-government continues to lag behind
when valuable Kenyan-owned innovations domicile elsewhere.

>> Kind regards,
>>

>> Muchiri Nyaggah
>>
>> Principal Partner
>>
>> @muchiri
>>
>> +254 722 506400
>>
>> Semacraft.com

<thismessage:/mail/u/0/s/?view=att&th=1324f65a805b4df0&attid=0.0.1&disp=emb&realattid=5df0f9e32f83b719_0.0.1&zw>

>> On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 9:35 AM, Rad! <conradakunga at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Maybe its's just me but I'm not convinced there is commitment in some
quarters to implement some of these initiatives fully.
>> I have a friend working in Rwanda and he tells me you can register a
business  on-line within 48 hours. Imagine that. 48 hours. Start to finish.
>> Compare and contrast with us here. What possible reason do we have for
not doing the same? Where we still have that absurdity of 3 days for a
business name search?
>> The other initiative
>>
>> Unsubscribe or change your options at
http://lists.kictanet.or.ke/mailman/options/kictanet/arebacollins%40gmail.com

for people and institutions interested and involved in ICT policy and
regulation. The network aims to act as a catalyst for reform in the ICT
sector in support of the national aim of ICT enabled growth and development.

online that you follow in real life: respect people's times and bandwidth,
share knowledge, don't flame or abuse or personalize, respect privacy, do
not spam, do not market your wares or qualifications.

> --
> “The twentieth century has been characterized by three developments of
great political importance: the growth of democracy, the growth of
corporate power, and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of
protecting corporate power against democracy”