[kictanet] Ndemo's Presidential Debate Final Report?

bitange at jambo.co.ke bitange at jambo.co.ke
Mon Oct 31 08:54:50 EAT 2011

Question 2.
2. How would you ensure public officers are provided with freedom to make
choices, to make mistakes, know the options for redress, and put an exit
strategy in place should things go wrong?

The constitution has given us that freedom.  We must differentiate between
excuses and the freedom to make choices.  I have seen this many a times.
As a public officer you cannot make a choice not to serve a citizen but
you need to make a choice if your senior is forcing you to steal from the
public.

This question is difficult since it is more of how do we build a value
system that respects both the public and those who serve it.  Many women
have lost their jobs for refusing to accept sexual advances from their
seniors.  In exercising their freedom, they have suffered but such is now
addressed in the constitution and technology is now available if ones
needs to deal with such problems.

In the public service code of conduct, you have three chances before you
are fired.  This means that if you repeatedly make the same mistake you
are fired.  This is adequate.  You can make one or two mistakes but you
cannot continue doing so and the public forgives you.  The mistakes also
must be seen as commited in good faith.  Let us not dwell on these
operational issues and look at strategic issues.

Regards

Ndemo.