[kictanet] eCommerce Opportunity in Africa: Kalahari.com to be closed down

aki aki275 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 11:39:03 EAT 2011

David,

IMHO, MIH should not be surprised nor should any kenyan online business
worry too much about its online presence. Not that many people are
interested in online images. The facts have always been there, i know this
as I "maintain" a simple site for IT goods etc when I have the time. The
simple facts were brought out by the Opera Browser ( mobile version ) kenyan
usage where facebook was the number one traffic destination in 2010 for
mobile users, while nation media was around number 10. In between those,
there is wikipedia as number 4. This says quite a lot...wikipedia? Really
and what for?  Seems Kenyan internet and its applications are over rated on
comparison with other countries. To get a clearer picture, please mention
any internet successful startups,funding and profits performances they
achieved The answer is none. However and as a final example, it is the same
kenyans who will send a bank transfer in thousands of USD to a motor vehicle
reseller company e.g. in Japan for a vehicle they saw online and wish to
purchase or even purchase items from e-Bay.

My opinion.
On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 4:45 PM, David Lemayian <dlemayian at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi listers,
>
> This week MIH Internet Sub-Saharan Africa announced that it shall close
> down Kalahari Nigeria and Kenya. (
> http://blog.dealfish.co.ke/show/59586378/ )
> Kalahari has been largely thought as having had the biggest investment in
> eCommerce and for it to be closed down is worrying. Is it that the African
> market is not ready for eCommerce or something else is at play here?
>
> David.
> --
>
> David Lemayian
>
> E: dlemayian at gmail.com | Skype: David.Lemayian |
> Twitter: @DavidLemayian <http://twitter.com/DavidLemayian> | W:
> www.davidlemayian.com
>
> Techpreneur . Hiker . Photographer . Tech Consultant . Developer . Winner
> Google ADC Sub-Saharan Africa

The EL_Diablo is a metaphor...