[kictanet] Urban farming under irrigation

robert yawe robertyawe at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Oct 13 12:02:13 EAT 2011

Hi,

Walking in Westlands yesterday I came across an ingenious person who was taping storm water to irrigate his patch of vegetables on the road side.  Lead poisoning apart., its an industrious Kenyan.

This reminded me of a project in Brazil where the poor living in highrise dwellings where encouraged to put up window ledge planters in which they planted tomatoes utilising the households waste water.  The project reduced the the diseases caused by lack of vitamin C.

The farming going on on this road side and the one recently publicised in the media in Ruai are a clear sign that Kenyans have the will and the drive all they need is to be enabled.