[kictanet] FW: Legalizing Phone Tapping in Kenya?

Edwin Onchari eonchari at lynxbits.com
Wed Oct 12 02:38:48 EAT 2011

I am limited in interpreting the legal jargon, but in my plain understanding
on reading through this - reminds me of the movie "Enemy of the State" . Too
many loopholes in this, here is one disturbing example, where the DG can
unilaterally authorize a wiretap without a warrant:

31(10) In the event of extreme emergency or existence of exceptional
circumstances, the Director General may exercise powers under subsection
(5), whether or not an application referred to in subsection (1) has been
made or not, provided that the Director General shall, as soon as practical
but not later than thirty six hours after exercising any of the powers under
subsection (5) make an application to a judge in accordance with the
provisions of this section.

So what happens after the 36 hours the judge declines the application, the
wiretap would have occurred anyway.and probably an innocent life ruined!
...and then who is credibly going to "monitor" those monitoring.what if the
Judge and DG collude/get blackmailed- see the minimal penalty below that
will encourage such an abuse especially for the rich?. and how/when will
citizens get to know when  some overzealous officers have been tapping their
lines without a warrant so as to complain to the "Complaints Commission"
without fear of intimidation?

28. Any person who assaults, willfully obstructs, hinders, resists,
knowingly lies, misleads, unduly influences or exerts pressure on the
Director General or any officer of the Service or any person acting under
the direction of the Director General or such other officer in the due
execution of his duties under this Act commits an offence and shall, on
conviction, be liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding two years or
a fine not exceeding three hundred thousand shillings, or to both.

As is, this bill has way too many loopholes!

Edwin