[kictanet] Interesting developement

Odhiambo Washington odhiambo at gmail.com
Tue Oct 11 18:11:39 EAT 2011

On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 18:00, Barrack Otieno <otieno.barrack at gmail.com>wrote:

> Listers,
>
> Listening to Hope Fm a debate on Safaricom jamming the phone signal in
> prisons in Partnership with Kenya prisons, is this move legal if it is true
> or is it a roadside declaration? The intended benefit notwithstanding?

@Barrack,

The answer to this is quite simple: Prisoners/convicts are not allowed by
law to have mobile phones in the cells. Even at the Police Station level,
suspects detained in cells are not allowed such luxury as keeping any
personal property with them in the cells, bar for the clothing they have on
their bodies.
It's therefore obvious that a prisoner having a mobile phone in the
detention/remand facility is doing so illegally, perhaps by some collusion
from the warders. I believe the Prisons Dept is admitting that the problem
is not easy for them to address and as such they have resorted to jamming
the phone signal. Nothing wrong with that, since the law does not allow the
use of those phones.
I am surprised you've never had an "interaction" with such facilities to
know this fact - ask everyone who has been arrested:-)

It's not a roadside declaration. It's perfectly within the legal confines.

--
Best regards,
Odhiambo WASHINGTON,