[kictanet] Declining English grammar in our Newsprint

Grace Mutung'u (Bomu) nmutungu at gmail.com
Tue Oct 11 03:49:57 EAT 2011

I know how this may sound and I do also get your concerns about poor
English but another point of view is that maybe our culture is just
evolving. Maybe just like in the past, when the language of the masses
took over that of the elite, this is slowly happening in our society.
Maybe at some point in the future, there will be another subset of
Kenyan English where saying ' me I...' will be proper?
At least thats the feeling I get when I read 'Kwani?' the Kenyan
journal in street lingo, or when I read the popular East African
blogs.
That said, I still have to keep the proper English of the day because
of the kind of work I do and so should main stream media journalists.
:)

--
Grace L.N. Mutung'u (Bomu)
Kenya