[kictanet] Declining English grammar in our Newsprint

Andrea Bohnstedt andrea.bohnstedt at ratio-magazine.com
Mon Oct 10 11:09:57 EAT 2011

I don't think that argument really works. You need to look at the number of
mistakes per article, i.e. the relative number of mistakes you make. And
more practice = fewer mistakes, relatively speaking (I hope).

We're talking about the publishing industry here: it's job is to produce
good writing. Part of quality publishing is that you have a quality control
process (as you would, I imagine, with software development and other things
that you produce professionally).

A lot of the journalists are taught by the 'misclennous' teachers. And the
quality control process is seriously lacking, not just with spelling,
language and punctuation. An entertainment pullout should not talk about
Meryl Steep, or write that Eve (the rapper) dated Gambia's president's son.

You could argue that it doesn't matter whether someone writes 'misclennous'
or not because we can figure out that it's meant to say 'miscellaneous', but
I wonder how carefully done the content is, and what sort of quality control
process exists at all.

I'd imagine if you do coding, or if you run a firm that develops software,
you want to deliver a good product and keep mistakes minimal. That ambition
should be no different for professional writer

But ultimately it depends where you set your own quality standards: whether
you're fine with maggots turning up, or whether you set up processes that
will eliminate (or at the very least control) the appearance of maggots. Do
you go for the lowest common denominator or do you set your sights a bit
higher?

On 10 October 2011 10:54, Agosta Liko <agostal at gmail.com> wrote:

> Lets just say writing articles ... is like writing software.
>
> If you are writing alot of code you are going to make mistakes ...
>
> If you write one article a month, you are less likely to make mistakes than
> if you are expected to write 30
>
> just like ... if you are writing alot of code, there are going to be
> mistakes ...
>
> What we are doing with this grammer thread is "throwing out the baby with
> the bathwater"
>
> :)
>

> Ps: When served a plate of rice in Kenya and you see one maggot - what do
> you do ?
>
> Throw out the plate or remove the maggot silently and engage
>

> If there are any typos ... pole sana :)
>

> On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 10:36 AM, luke mulunda <lmulunda at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>> I would personally blame it on cost-cutting. We have journalism and
>> English experts in newsrooms, but they have too much on their hands to spot
>> the most obvious and embarrassing mistakes in our publications.
>>
>> Mistakes can be costly. Remember during Amini's time in Uganda, the
>> dictator had criticised a female MP, and so the paper splashed the following
>> morning "Amini rapes MP" when he meant "RAPS". I hear, he was killed at down
>> as he brushed his teeth in his house.
>>

>> LUKE M

>> style="text-decoration:underline;">WWW.SMARTBIZAFRICA.COM
>> Africa's No.1 Online Business Magazine
>> ...For Investors, Entrepreneurs, Managers, Marketers, CEOs, IT Experts, HR
>> & Finance Managers and Students.... Plus Stocks and Business News and Career
>> http://www.smartbizafrica.com/"></a>

Andrea Bohnstedt <http://ke.linkedin.com/in/andreabohnstedt>
Publisher
+254 720 960 322

www.ratio-magazine.com
Find/post East Africa careers<http://www.ratio-magazine.com/careers/index.php>
Find/post conferences, workshops, trainings, other business
events<http://www.ratio-magazine.com/businessevents/index.php>