[kictanet] Declining English grammar in our Newsprint

waudo siganga emailsignet at mailcan.com
Wed Oct 5 08:58:30 EAT 2011

Thanks for bringing this out Bw PS. The TV stations also need to do
something about poor English pronounciations by some of their
newsreaders. It is common to hear, for example, "wrecked havoc" instead
of "wreaked havoc". Other simple words such as "cap" for the kofia which
is supposed to be pronounced same as "cup" is instead pronounced "cape"
as in sheng. Another example is "liaise" which phonetically should be
pronounced li-ye-z but the newsreaders seem to have other ideas. There
are millions of examples, so to speak. The worst part is that listeners
and school children pick up these wrong prounciations and everything
gets propagated. In the age of ICT perhaps someone can point out to the
newsreaders that there are websites (e.g. Dictionary.com) that can help
them with prounciation.

Waudo