[kictanet] Declining English grammar in our Newsprint

Kipkemoi arap Kirui arapkirui at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 08:27:31 EAT 2011

Andrea,

I guess it is a more serious problem. That of poor foundation and commercialization of our undergraduate programs. Every backstreet building in most towns now houses some university or affiliate college or program. How can all these mushrooming universities and campuses access competent faculty to take our young people through this crucial stage of their lives? How can they access library and other resources? Can we really blame these Kenyans?

I want to ask the Professors and Lecturers here and elsewhere to search their souls and ask themselves whether what is going on in Kenyan universities is sustainable. A large number of our graduating students cannot process simple tasks nor can they engage in intellectual discussions in their 'professional' areas. This week I saw a candidate to the IEBC with a PhD (due respect to her) who barely processed simple questions asked by the Ekuru Aukot Panel.

Let us go back to our universities and 'campuses' and try to understand what really goes on there. Let us check whether in fact in some of these institutions any education is at all taking place.

Kipkemoi arap Kirui

Sent from my iPad