[kictanet] Declining English grammar in our Newsprint

Sam Aguyo saguyo at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 5 07:16:08 EAT 2011

When i read this three things come into mind; Journalism as a course which has its ethos, ICT which is just but a tool to be used and finally language which is acquired at school through learning.  I want to believe that it is part of a requirement in any journalism training that the student must be good in the language either English, Kiswahili or any other relevant one.   I am tempted to blame the media houses for possibly having people who are either sleeping on the job or might not have the requisite qualifications to be on that job.

Even if ICT was part of the curriculum in journalism training, while the student is not conversant with the language and style it is futile.  It is impossible to spell check (ICT) a word you have no idea about.

How wonderful it is to use ICT when you know what you want to achieve!

Sam