[kictanet] "Nokia boss quits as regional office moves to Jo’Burg"

Chris Foster cgfoster at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 15:47:00 EAT 2011

"Nokia boss quits as regional office moves to Jo’Burg"
http://www.businessdailyafrica.com/Corporate+News/Nokia+boss+quits+as+regional+office+moves+to+Jo+Burg/-/539550/1281608/-/6lvmyi/-/

Seems a shame if this is confirmed to be true. From what I've seen, some
of the sucess of Nokia can be connected to it being closely integrated
in the region, not only as a sales force, but in pushing locally for
appropriate products, marketing, policy and distribution.

This seems particularly important in the mobile sector, given the need
to be responsive to increasingly strong competition in the region,
particularly from emerging Chinese firms.

Nokia never had a huge workforce in Kenya, so I'm guessing this is not
related to cost cutting, and as the article says, it seems to grow
against the grain of other multinationals who are looking to become more
connected locally into the Kenyan and regional market.

Thanks
Chris

--
Christopher Foster
PhD Researcher, Centre for Development Informatics (CDI)

Skype: cgfoster