[kictanet] Why is KRA (Customs) Application is Hard-Wired Microsoft?

John Kieti jkieti at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 15:20:47 EAT 2011

People,

Is it so difficult or expensive for Kenya's Revenue collector to provide
for multiple mainstream browser software? If "Extranet" is the
reason/explanation, then they need to fire some ICT consultant.

Our efforts to grow and mainstream ICT in the economy continue to be
hindered by such old-time design decisions - and there are many such
solution deployments!

Br

On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 1:28 PM, S.M. Muraya <murigi.muraya at gmail.com>wrote:

> First, to agree with Walu, the system needs to be updated....
>
> Even Microsoft is trying to kill IE 6.0.,, http://www.ie6countdown.com/
>
> That said, Agosta has noted my thoughts precisely.
>
> An extranet is a system opened by the supplier / or authority (KRA in this
> case) which licenses the vendors / custom agents to access its systems. It
> is about affordable control (of licensed vendors) not about accessibility
> by the general public.
>
> http://www.kra.go.ke/pdf/publications/manifestmanual.pdf
>
> If the "2005" in the Simba System, refers to the year it was released to
> market, it explains why the system would be IE based.
>
> Unlike in 2011 where IE (desktop browser) market share is about 50%, in
> 2005 it was over 80%...
>
> Who does not know, DATA ENTRY / ACCESS in the typical customs / import /
> export / pharma / miraa / piracy business, run by non technical people in
> Kenya, uses Windows Desktops NOT Linux (Ubuntu) like some ISP /Telco or
> Macs like some design or media shop / department?
>
> So why not target the 85% or so who used IE or their desktops in 2005?
>

> On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 12:45 AM, Agosta Liko <agostal at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Walu
>>
>> for code that sits behind a firewall or in an extranet ("closed"
>> environment) it is common practice to write for one platform and version ...
>>
>> The logic is as follows - if you write and test on IE6 then all the
>> browser compatibility tests are for only one platform ... a client will
>> usually opt for this because they are getting billed for each man hour
>> testing and maintaining
>>
>> So if each browser and version testing = 200 hours --- then you pick one
>> browser and one version and standardize across the organisation
>>
>> So maybe the winning bidder only had 1 browser :)
>>
>>  On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 6:26 PM, Walubengo J <jwalu at yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>>  I was at JKIA cargo this morning trying to get in some cargo.
>>> Ofcourse it is still a nightmare operation but eventually I got some Agent
>>> to help out and we sat down at his office to key the data into the Kenya
>>> Revenue (Simba System).
>>>
>>> For some reason, his Microsoft-Explorer was giving him some trouble so I
>>> told him to just try the Firefox instead. Believe it or not- the KRA system
>>> screamed at him and said "YOU CAN ONLY USE MICROSOFT INTERNET EXPLORER ver
>>> 6 AND ABOVE!!!!". What??
>>>
>>> Folks, if this is not intimidation, tell me what is. Who in the 21st
>>> Century writes software ONLY for one platform?  Software today should be
>>> read from your Windows/Linux/Android/Mac/etc/ Platforms.  It should be
>>> accessible from your laptop, smart-phone, dump-phone,tv/etc. Now how comes
>>> a critical public system is ONLY accessible through Microsoft platform?  I
>>> am not against Microsoft - I still use alot of it at a corporate level;
>>> HOWEVER, we cannot allow a Publicly Procured system to be tied to a single
> [...]

My Blog - www.gmeltdown.com
The ordinary just won't do