[kictanet] Why is KRA (Customs) Application is Hard-Wired Microsoft?

Walubengo J jwalu at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 28 18:26:45 EAT 2011

I was at JKIA cargo this morning trying to get in some cargo.  Ofcourse it is still a nightmare operation but eventually I got some Agent to help out and we sat down at his office to key the data into the Kenya Revenue (Simba System).

For some reason, his Microsoft-Explorer was giving him some trouble so I told him to just try the Firefox instead. Believe it or not- the KRA system screamed at him and said "YOU CAN ONLY USE MICROSOFT INTERNET EXPLORER ver 6 AND ABOVE!!!!". What??

Folks, if this is not intimidation, tell me what is. Who in the 21st Century writes software ONLY for one platform?  Software today should be read from your Windows/Linux/Android/Mac/etc/ Platforms.  It should be accessible from your laptop, smart-phone, dump-phone,tv/etc. Now how comes a critical public system is ONLY accessible through Microsoft platform?  I am not against Microsoft - I still use alot of it at a corporate level; HOWEVER, we cannot allow a Publicly Procured system to be tied to a single platform.(review procurement rules).     I recall one Lister raising this issue 3years ago and I thought it had been addressed!

Either the PS Ndemo + eGovt Sec, Dr. Getao helps us out or we task Steve Mutoro to open a file on this issue. Forcing clearing agents to BUY Microsoft products (when they can use a free one)  to clear goods for customers is not a proper way of developing a country.

walu.