[kictanet] Daylight Robbery along Southern Bypass - Nairobi

Philip Adar philip.adar at gmail.com
Fri Nov 25 12:10:46 EAT 2011

Dear All,
Thank you all for sharing good and inspiring ideas on how we can use
technology to tackle the problem of insecurity in Nairobi. As professionals
in the ICT sector, we can do our part and make our contributions in making
our society much safer. My original intention for sharing the experience
was to warn as many people as possible (at least many of us who did not
know that this road is unsafe). Kenneth has done a wonderful job of
ensuring that the story is published on the The STAR Newspaper today. The
net effect is; many other Kenyans who are not on the KICTAnet mailing list
now know that it is still unsafe to use the bypasses.

In consolidating ideas from people who have contributed, I see a lot of
inspiring thoughts:

   1. James Mbugua has confirmed that the financing for the construction
   works for this road is already approved. How can we influence the
   Government to have this road designed with security cameras from the onset?
   It passes through a forest, next to a crowded informal settlement and I am
   sure issues of security on it will persist for a long time to come.
   2. I have seen before when people are taken hostage by criminals who
   demand cash and the police resort to track them through Mobile Service
   Providers. On the incident on Wednesday, many people are robbed (from 6
   different cars) and among the many things taken away are mobile phones. It
   so happens that I reached the police on patrol within 2-3 minutes of the
   incident. Instead of following thugs in the forest blindly, why not use
   mobile tracking? For I believe it was too soon to switch off all the phones
   within such a short time span.
   3. It is sad that the two policemen did not bother to communicate the
   incident immediately to station or ask for back-up.Can we have an effective
   and portable communication equipments for the police? In case they have any
   thing of the sort and they don't use, can they be accused of negligence on
   the line of duty?

The best way to support our community is to generate applicable ideas and
champion for their implementation. In the long run, our efforts will
achieve some results.

Regards
Philip

On Thu, Nov 24, 2011 at 9:29 PM, Harry Delano <harry at comtelsys.co.ke> wrote:

>  Hey Dennis,****
>
> ** **
>
> I think what we can all agree in principle is that we need to do something
> about this and fast enough. As we all know, ****
>
> it is happening all around us. We have just heard another account of a
> similar ordeal on this very list. How many go****
>
> unreported…? And I also suppose the account from Kago below seems miles
> apart from Adar’s, or is it just me? ****
>
> ** **
>
> I really think we can get into the business of finding a point of
> convergence for the various tools we have at our disposal****
>
> as the ICT fraternity together with other service providers and make a
> meaningful difference around our Streets, corridors,****
>
> Roads, Highways, Estates etc by installing these security systems. If all
> else fails, then please if we know these areas ****
>
> are to be avoided we should announce on big billboards, before anyone else
> drives/walks up those roads. But this is ****
>
> really defeatist in my view.****
>
> ** **
>
> In fact if you could ask me, I would propose each Camera surveillance
> sector should be publicly accessible on a web****
>
> portal, where one can possibly carry out a quick scan around just in case,
> before driving up that road, possibly also to****
>
> avoid road snarl ups, trouble spot areas, or any other queer looking
> activity. Not to mention, security organs will be on****
>
> the watch and this will act as a deterrence to a lot things.****
>
> ** **
>
> I’m still hoping  we can get a comment from the PS, on just how possible
> it is to bring various stakeholders with Govt. ****
>
> providing leadership to thrash out this issue, and come up with some kind
> of way forward or action plan..****
>
> ** **
>
> Let’s beef up our community policing effort and build a safer society.****
>
> ** **