[kictanet] Internet Governance and the UN

Barrack Otieno otieno.barrack at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 15:15:00 EAT 2011

Salut Pierre,

While i agree with the issues highlighted by Bob, we should also take
cognisance of the fact that the UN-IGF provides a platform for all
stakeholders concerned with management of the Internet eco-system to
air their views on governance of the Internet on equal footing.
It is important that we scrutinize the word 'equal' footing since the
eco-system is made up of governmnet, civil society, private sector and
academia, as such the UN-IGF is not a decision making body, the
respective constituencies convert the discourse into Policy actions.
With regard to the relationship between the US and ICANN i suppose the
issue needs to be handled with sobriety, in my view it is akin to a
child aquiring the family house from his parents and asking them to
vacate due to 'new' and emerging interests, whereas it is the correct
thing to do, how it is done determines its success.  I am sure a lot
has gone on this regard with formation of the GAC within ICANN cycles
and since i am not an authority i will leave it to someone in GAC to
respond.

My two network cables