[kictanet] Bombardier Aerospace to Establish Manufacturing Capability in Morocco

Paul Kukubo pkukubo at ict.go.ke
Thu Nov 17 15:26:55 EAT 2011

Listers

Sharing this story as a matter of intrest to those who enjoy the subject of
international investment deals. Interesting to note especially if you take
into account how many linkages the car and aerospace manufacturing
facilities have. country MOUs with leading global players are one way to
bring inward high value investment. They can take a long time to structure
and negotiate, sometimes years, especially when there is a multi million
dollar tag on it. Note that employment targets equals 850 highly skilled
Moroccans.
Asante.

Press Releases

Bombardier Aerospace to Establish Manufacturing Capability in Morocco

November 16, 2011 — Montréal
Aerospace
Bombardier Aerospace announced today that it has signed a memorandum of
understanding (MOU) with the Government of the Kingdom of Morocco for the
establishment of a manufacturing facility in Morocco. The exact site
location will be announced at a later date. Bombardier Aerospace intends to
invest approximately $200 million US in equipment, buildings and start-up
costs over the next eight years.
Scheduled to be implemented in phases starting in 2012, Bombardier
Aerospace’s new Moroccan facility will initially include sub-assembly
capabilities for simple structures. The new facility is scheduled to start
manufacturing in 2013. Details on the type of components to be manufactured
will be finalized in the coming months.
By the end of 2020, employment at the Morocco facility is expected to reach
850 skilled and trained workers. Bombardier Aerospace anticipates that
there will be no impact on its current workforce level at other sites as a
result of this announcement.
“Globalization of our industry has opened up new markets and new
opportunities,” said Guy C. Hachey, President and Chief Operating Officer,
Bombardier Aerospace. “We have progressively extended our business presence
around the world and we are continuing today to better serve our
international customers.”
“Bombardier Aerospace is committed to a long-term relationship with the
Moroccan Government to develop a world-class aerospace industry in the
country,” added Mr. Hachey. “By establishing its own fully integrated
manufacturing facility in Morocco, Bombardier Aerospace will serve as a
catalyst for the aerospace industry in the country and will look for
opportunities to share some of its knowledge and complex manufacturing
processes.”
Bombardier Aerospace chose Morocco for a number of reasons: internationally
competitive manufacturing costs, low shipping and transportation costs,
proximity to Europe, and the commitment by the Moroccan Government to the
development of the aerospace industry.
The announcement of this new manufacturing facility in Morocco was made
during the Dubai Airshow 2011, where Bombardier is currently showcasing its
broad spectrum of innovative products, technical expertise, and superior
customer support and aircraft maintenance services. Held in the United Arab
Emirates, the Dubai Airshow, the world’s third largest airshow, places an
emphasis on the Middle-East, Africa, Europe and India.
About Bombardier
A world-leading manufacturer of innovative transportation solutions, from
commercial aircraft and business jets to rail transportation equipment,
systems and services, Bombardier Inc. is a global corporation headquartered
in Canada. Its revenues for the fiscal year ended January 31, 2011, were
$17.7 billion, and its shares are traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange
(BBD). Bombardier is listed as an index component to the Dow Jones
Sustainability World and North America indexes. News and information are
available at www.bombardier.com or follow us on Twitter at Bombardier.
Notes to Editors
Follow @Bombardier_Aero on Twitter to receive the latest news and updates
from Bombardier Aerospace.
To receive our press releases, please visit the Email Subscription and RSS
Feed section.
Bombardier is trademark of Bombardier Inc. or its subsidiaries.
For Information
Haley Dunne
Bombardier Aerospace
+1 514 855 7989
www.bombardier.com
Back to top

--
Paul Kukubo
Chief Executive Officer, Kenya ICT Board

12th Floor, Teleposta Towers Koinange Street

Tel +254 20 2089061, +254 20 2211960
Fax: +254 20 2211962
website: www.ict.go.ke
local content project: www.tandaa.co.ke, www.facebook.com/tandaakenya
twitter:@tandaaKENYA
BPO Project: www. doitinkenya.co.ke
Digital Villages Project: www.pasha.co.ke

personal contacts
_______________

Cell: + 254 717 180001

skype: kukubopaul
googletalk: pkukubo
personal blog: www.paulkukubo.co.ke
personal twitter: @pkukubo

Vision: Kenya becomes a top ten global ICT hub

Mission: To champion and actively enable Kenya to adopt and exploit ICT,
through promotion of partnerships, investments and infrastructure growth
for socio economic enrichment