[kictanet] Korea - Dr Ndemo for Presidency!

bitange at jambo.co.ke bitange at jambo.co.ke
Sun Nov 13 00:38:59 EAT 2011

Jane,
There are possibly reasons why Korea is doing better than its 1960s peers.
 Casual look on the road tells you that more than nine out of ten vehicles
on the road are Korean.  You either see the Hyundai or a Kia and sometimes
a Samsung.  There is practically no foreign car here even the Toyota which
originally gave the technology to Korea.   I am told that 100% of the home
appliances are locally manufactured.  This level of patriotism (royalty to
local outputs) is not by accident.  South Korea is sandwiched by two
powerful economies, that is, Japan and China.

This is an export-orientated country, with a total trade volume exceeding
900 billion in 2010. This figure also makes them the 7th largest exporter
and 10th largest importer in the world.  Since 2003, South Korea has
established its network of free trade agreements to boost trade and
economic ties with other countries.

Currently, South Korea has 5 FTAs in effect, 3 FTAs which has concluded
discussions, and 19 FTAs under negotiation and consideration. So far, the
biggest FTA of South Korea is the Korea-US Free Trade Agreement (KORUS
FTA) signed in 2007.  This free trade agreement plans to liberate 95
percent of the trade tariffs between the 2 countries.   It is also US
first free trade agreement with a major Asian economy and biggest deal
since the North America Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) signed with Japan in
1993.  Even with these FTAs some Koreans oppose especially FTA with the
US.  At a neatly organized rally (looked like an AGM of some company)
people are gathered to protest FTA with the US.  They argue it will hurt
their industry.

With a lack in natural resources, South Korea has a high dependence on
import of capital goods, raw materials and industrial supplies. The
country is also the 5th largest importer of oil in the world, with 3.074
million barrels imported per day.

This makes Korea a good case study for Kenya as we have almost a similar
background.  At the height of structural adjustment program (SAP), Kenya
had practically developed local capacity to manufacture cars.  Uhuru then
manufactured by General Motors had attained more than 60% local content.
The neighbouring countries had begun to import Uhuru from Kenya but we
were more focused on exports to Europe than exploiting the regional
market.  The then Government which ironically introduced Nyayo car found
it easier to import used cars from Japan.  We had lost track of going
through a learning curve and create local capacities.  Similar tastes were
developing in the textile industry that led to the shutdown of Rivertex.
The change of policy from SAPs to liberalization gave rise to looting of
public enterprises (Read Kenatco, KNTC, ICDC, Kisumu Molasses, Kenya
National Assurance, AT&H etc.)  Other countries notably Korea, Singapore
and Australia turned to corporatization of state enterprises and they
succeeded big.  If there were to be any justice through TJRC, it is the
repossession of these assets to enable us create a youth venture capital
to help the youth set up enterprises.  I am well aware that Kenya media
knows who looted and the state of those assets.

There is no need for us to be sorry about the past and keep on whining
about the future.  We must identify the opportunities that are glaring at
us.  It is not for nothing that God denied Middle East the land to grow
food and gave them oil.  We have a comparative advantage in certain areas
that only after we exploit them that it becomes an opportunity.  We must
move from the past where opportunity meant a job opportunity to an
environment where opportunity means you need to scratch your head and see
a window where others have not seen one then exploit the chance.  Africa
and Middle East provides that window.

We also must be patient and willing to take collective sacrifices for us
to succeed as a nation.  You visit India and see that they do not import
many vehicles too.  In as much as the Mahindra is slow and ugly, Indian
buys it.  The Tata truck may not be great but Indians buy it.  We have
exported raw coffee far too long as we import instant coffee from our raw
materials.   Building a value added industry of our resources for the
African market will make Kenya the largest economy in Africa.  In two
years’ time consumption in Africa will top $3 trillion.  I have not even
talked about AGOA which remains unexploited. Think.

Regards

Ndemo.