[kictanet] From the Google Policy Blog: Advancing the free flow of information.

alice at apc.org alice at apc.org
Sat Nov 5 16:01:04 EAT 2011

     governance at lists.cpsr.org
To be removed from the list, visit:

     http://www.igcaucus.org/

-----Original Message-----
From: McTim <dogwallah at gmail.com>
Sender: governance at lists.cpsr.org
Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2011 15:56:50
To: <governance at lists.cpsr.org>
Subject: [governance] From the Google Policy Blog

Advancing the free flow of
information<http://googlepublicpolicy.blogspot.com/2011/11/advancing-free-flow-of-information.html>
Friday, November 4, 2011 at 12:28 PM ETPosted by Winter Casey, Senior
Policy Analyst, Google

The global economy relies on the free flow of information more than ever
before. Companies large and small can use the Internet to reach new
markets, which contributes to economic growth, job creation, and increased
trade around the world.

But as companies and individuals are transmitting more information online,
some governments are seeking to impose limits on the free flow of
information. More than 40 governments now block or restrict information and
data available on the Internet.

Last year, we released a white
paper<http://www.google.com/googleblogs/pdfs/trade_free_flow_of_information.pdf>
demonstrating
that governments which block the free flow of information on the Internet
are also blocking trade and economic growth. For example, when companies
can’t confidentially and confidently transmit the files and information
that are necessary to keep their business running, their ability to export
goods and services is hurt. The thesis is simple: when countries support
the free flow of information, they will see more economic growth.

That’s why we joined companies like Citi, Microsoft, IBM, GE and others to
endorse a new set of principles endorsing the free flow of information
across borders. The
principles<http://www.nftc.org/default/Innovation/PromotingCrossBorderDataFlowsNFTC.pdf>,
written under the leadership of the National Foreign Trade Council, outline
several priorities for the U.S. business community which will promote
transparent, fair, and secure cross-border data flows.

Individuals and businesses will benefit from a more consistent and
transparent framework for the treatment of cross-border flows of goods,
services and information. We look forward to continued work with
governments and industry to advance the free flow of information online.

Principles are here:

http://www.nftc.org/default/Innovation/PromotingCrossBorderDataFlowsNFTC.pdf

--
Cheers,