[kictanet] Konza Technology City - Devils Advocate

robert yawe robertyawe at yahoo.co.uk
Thu May 19 10:17:21 EAT 2011

Hi,

I have looked at the concept for the Konza Technology City and it looks
brilliant, but I have a few issues to propose on the design.

Now that we have a big picture we need to go into the devilish details to make
sure that we can make this a truly world class project from ground breaking to
operation.

1.  There is too much road which will result in traffic, one regret that the
developers of Silicon Valley have kept airing is that they should have thought
more of reducing motorised movement and creating more green areas, foot paths
and cycling paths.  The concept for Konza has over 61 kilometers of major roads
that is equivalent to the road from Nairobi to Konza.

We need to incorporate tramcars, under ground train & bus stations and perimeter
parking silos that will allow for the reduction of vehicular traffic on the
streets and make the environment more pedestrian friendly.

For those who have seen the master plan each segment measures about 62 acres
which is roughly the area bound by Uhuru Highway, City Hall Way, Kenyatta Avenue
and Moi Avenue, not a very big area, so what is the difference in layout between
Konza City and Nairobi?  We need to look at the issues affecting Nairobi due to
its design flaws and then correct them in Konza.

2.  The density of the City makes it no different from Nairobi CBD merged with
Githurai/Zimaman, the green area is at 5.6% which should be sufficient grounds
for Prof. Wangari Mathai to get concerned.  In my calculations I included the
river basin that a crosses through the City and also the stadium.  Let avoid the
creation of another concrete jungle, which bring back to mind a statement by
President Moi that the building of a 60 story building at Uhuru Park would be of
scenic value.

4.  Unlike Nairobi, Konza is a much hotter area therefore we need to look at
having as many water masses as possible scattered around the city to humidify
the area and also help in maintaining any green areas.  This water could be
reclaimed from the buildings and also by incorporating rain water harvesting.

5.  Charity begins at home, I strongly believe the launch plus the initial
invitations for the master builder should have been floated locally before we
removed our hand pans to go overseas, "utamusindikisha namna gani yule ambae
hajatoa chochote chake".

6. Where is the Virtual City Building, Seven Seas Knowledge Hub, Equity Finance
Campus and Mutuku's Supermarket in the proposal or is the entire development
targeted to foreign entities.

7.  The area allocated for a University campus is only 62 acres, this is too
small as it can only accommodate a single university campus if it is to have
recreation facilities and open grounds which is the ideal situation as it would
be counter productive to replicate what is happening with the campuses in
Nairobi CBD.

I reiterate that the effort is commendable but lets use it more as a starting
point than an end in itself otherwise we shall just be developing another
concrete jungle.  Lets look at best practices and the lessons learnt from others
as they carried our such projects.

A final word or more a request, how do I book the space allocated for
a Cathedral so I can begin to mobilise my Catholic brethren to begin raising
funds.
 Robert Yawe
KAY System Technologies Ltd
Phoenix House, 6th Floor