[kictanet] Europe and US to meet on .xxx and new TLDs

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Thu May 12 09:44:32 EAT 2011

Walu,

On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 8:44 AM, Walubengo J <jwalu at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Alice, McTim et al.
>
> Plse bring us upto speed on the what is the beef here.

The beef here is about who gets the final say about what goes in the
rootzone.  That responsibility lies with ICANN and its constituent
Supporting Organisations, but ultimately with the Board of Trustees of
ICANN.  Many in the GAC think they should have veto power of the BoT, and
some think they already do have this power.

> My recollection is that the .xxx top level domain (for Pornographic
> content) was previously vetoed by the Bush (Jnr) government(?)

not the case.  An earlier ICANN Board approved .xxx.  Later, the GAC asked
for a delay and ultimately sought to overturn this earlier Board decision
(lots of pressure by the Bushies here, yes) and the issue went to binding
arbitration.  ICANN was told by the arbitration that they had to allow .xxx,
and so they did, eventually despite the GAC not being able to articulate
what they wanted in a timely manner.

> but somewhat the Obama administration seems to have favored it

also not correct, the DoC of the Obama admin has made lots of noises against
.xxx.

>  and by extension ICANN - has finally and procedurally filled the intention
> to implement it (?).

.xxx is in the rootzone and hence live on the internet.

> So what's with the EU request to delay the implementation?

Well it is too late for that.  Politics I guess??

> Is it that the EU is now backtracking on the .xxx domain?

I think they have had reservations about it all along, so no, not
backtracking. Just trying to assert authority they don't have, and that they
KNOW the US won't exercise (and they have said in the past that they don't
want the US to exercise it).

> And I wonder what is the general "African" position (if there ever was one)
> on this whole issue?

I imagine most GAC folks from Africa would be against it.

IIRC, there are several on this list, perhaps they can speak up?

--
Cheers,

McTim