[kictanet] Europe and US to meet on .xxx and new TLDs

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Wed May 11 21:46:30 EAT 2011

Alice,

On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 6:22 PM, Alice Munyua <alice at apc.org> wrote:
> http://domainincite.com/europe-and-us-to-meet-on-xxx-and-new-tlds/
>
> European Commissioner Neelie Kroes is to meet with the US Department of
> Commerce, a month after she asked it to delay the launch of the .xxx
> top-level domain.

Is this not highly ironic? Wouldn't she be screaming bloody murder if
the US decided, unilaterally, to do this (or something similar) to the
rootzone?

The fact is that the ICANN Board could make no other decision on .xxx
due to the results of the arbitration on it, factoring in a lack of
GAC consensus on the issue. The ICANN Board bent over backwards to
please the GAC on this one, to no avail.

At the very least, this serves as a wake up call to the GAC that they
aren't in control of ICANN decisions.

--
Cheers,

McTim