[kictanet] Governance debates Online - Using ICT to fight graft

Alice Munyua alice at apc.org
Mon May 2 21:26:15 EAT 2011

Agree a great idea. As social media enables participation access,
collaboration and even transparency and has great potential to enhance
governance processes by way of facilitating participation from broad
based stakeholders/constituencies.  Some of the features can be
used/applied to many aspects of governance, including feedback on anti
corruption initiatives, maintaining participation, direct involvement in
policy processes, deliberations, etc.

However, there are some fundamental limitations  we must keep in mind
and deal with. To begin with, the  disparity in internet access with
social media services still reflects an education and/or class bias.
Additionally, folks tend to join most networks as a means to an end, for
example joining some lists knowing that they are more likely to get the
ear of the service provider and/or government and this over reliance
would in the long run ends up undermining efforts that require
commitment and follow through, for those who have been members of this
list will bear witness to this particularly when it comes to policy
processes.

So are social networks the  magic bullet to participation?  I also tend
to think that social media sites have not really been developed for
governance in the way we may be thinking, for example face book has a
person cap, further, most of these sites were designed in ways to
encourage participation to serve advertising revenue so perhaps we would
need our very talented developers/skunks etc to begin to think about
developing Social media platforms suited to our governance, anti
corruption etc needs. A good example remains ushaidi.

Best

Alice