[kictanet] Fw: Local hosting - reiterated

robert yawe robertyawe at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Mar 31 18:49:41 EAT 2011

Hi,

Thank you for acknowledging that my faulty geography is as a result of the
education system.

As a nation we have proven that we are basically  traders and do not have the
right culture to handle manufacturing, you yourself have raised the issue that
even after taking many groups to see the digital tv set top box at the
university no one has taken up the challenge to mass produce the device.  If you
had the device ready there would be no shortage of resellers.

You have mentioned that we have iron ore but when do we expect to be able to
extract and processor it to the level that we can produce more than rails for
RVR?  Even after 47 years of independence we still export most of our tea and
coffee unable to add value.

The reality is that technology is the stop gap measure to provide us with the
cash resources to invest in heavy industry, there is no need to try and
replicate the Hyundai and Samsung and Wipro models.  Technology is based suited
for us as we can set-up software development houses across the country whether
there are roads or not.

I like your potato example but note that even today as we speak raw potatoes
shall be delivered to Wakulima Market for delivery to the various chips shops
tomorrow morning where an army of peeler's will send hours on them just to
deposit the peels to the over full dump site in Dandora.

Yet if we had the potatoes peeled in Njambini the peels would have been
reapplied to the soil to improve the fertility, its not a major industry but we
have been unable to deal with the processing of a potato so how do we expect to
be able to manufacture a precision device?

Now back to the objective  of this thread, can you please see how to get an
allocation of the funds ear marked for jua kali sheds to be utilised to set-up a
hosting centre where our ICT graduates can host their applications at a
reasonable cost.

So that hopefully we can set up our own local social media sites like the
Brazillians and Chinese and stop over crowding facebook and the elk while at the
same time keep as much as our internet traffic local which should leave
sufficient international bandwidth to have the Okampo 6 interviewed via
tele-presence.

I hope I have brought  us back to the issue at hand, it takes less time an money
to develop a hosting centre than it would take to build 1 kilometre of tarmac
road and will benefit far more people.

Regards
 Robert Yawe
KAY System Technologies Ltd