[kictanet] Digital Villages - Edwin Onchari

eonchari at lynxbits.com eonchari at lynxbits.com
Wed Mar 30 12:50:50 EAT 2011

Dan,

 What I have in mind (and we can expand on this) is a Citizen Support  Services model that can work in the following ways:
 In the village and even most government offices in Nairobi,  crucial government forms are always in short supply. why not explore  ways of getting this crucial documents to the grassroots (DVs buying  from the government press and photocopying them and sell at a small fee,  download where applicable, etc for the citizens)charge a small standard fee for the DVs to perform some basic back  office work, like data capture. Imagine the enormous amount of data  lying at the county/district level. How this can be deployed can be  explored bearing in mind that we still have silos in government-  although from last year's egovt summit, there ought be a single platform  for all agencies- we can tap into this.In the future, groom the DVs to perform other support services  such as emergency response, surveys, etc for the county government and  even the central government. The list can be as extensive and as innovative as we want it to be.

 I would like steer clear of negativity, but will not relent in asking  questions where things are unclear or sound a voice of a concerned  citizen where I feel things are not being done right.

 Edwin