[kictanet] Local hosting - reiterated

robert yawe robertyawe at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Mar 30 07:54:27 EAT 2011

This says a lot about the governments lip service on vision 2030, the setting up
of special economic zones and jua kali sheds is so industrial revolution
thinking.

With technology the entire country becomes an special economic zone whose only
infrastructure requirements are data centres and high speed broadband (wired or
otherwise) all of which are much cheaper to install than 4 lane highways and
11,000 kilo volt power sub-stations, or could it be the issue of 10%.

Kazi kwa vijani needs to look beyond the standard 8 drop out to the university
graduate who already has the skills and is only looking for an enabling
environment.

Dr. Ndemo, I propose you call your counterpart in the Ministry of
Industrialisation and which ever other ministry is involved in the jua kali shed
project and insist to be given 1 shed in every constituency then take the cash
equivalent and set-up a hosting and collocation centre.

All it requires is 1000 square feet of space in your offices (digitise your
files and move the physical ones to Kabartonjo).  From your offices get at least
a 1 gigabit link to KIXP and as you are next to Oranges Telephone House which
sits on a node of the Secom marine cable you can tap in for the international
bandwidth.

The other link you require is to KeNET (http://www.kenet.or.ke), the education
network hub, which I believe is currently asleep so that the location can be
accessed across all universities.  This is critical as we know what happened
when the developers of google and facebook went through when trying to host
within their campuses.

If you leave the issue of hosting and collocation to market forces and private
enterprise then our young developers and doomed to languish in poverty like our
great artists.  This is the 1968 of technology time to setup an ICDC and KNTC
type entities for the technology industry which you can then float like
safaricom and kenya power after the market has matured.

From where I sit not even Safaricom or Airtel have the resources or willpower to
salvage this situation.
 Robert Yawe
KAY System Technologies Ltd