[kictanet] SIM card registration status

George Nyabuga gnyabuga at uonbi.ac.ke
Fri Mar 25 10:25:37 EAT 2011

Apparently the requirement to register Sim cards was not/and is not yet
supported by any legislation/law. Accordingly, people cannot be FORCED to
register their sims. Unless some law has been cobbled recently which I am
not aware of, this was an initiative by the Ministry of Information, and
latterly supported by the president. But the requirement does not have the
support of the law. Sad.

George

> [...]
>>>

>>> Recently when Safaricom was upgrading their system, some guy posing as
>>> Safaricom agent called an MPESA agent and guided him in keying some
>>> code on
>>> his phone to complete the upgrade! What the Agent didn’t know is that
>>> by
>>> punching those keys (note -no amount was entered), a whole 120k was
>>> transferred from his phone to the thief’s phone! This was immediately
>>> reported to MPESA but only 20k was recovered – the rest had been
>>> withdrawn
>>> within 30 minutes. The case was also reported to the police immediately
>>>

>>> Someone please shed some light

>> When you call the M-Pesa support line, you do get this impression of a
>> "long queue in the bank". You know what I mean? Then you get a REP who
>> is
>> more interested in niceties than the problem you are reporting. I feel
>> that
>> the Special Crimes Prevention Unit needs to work very closely with the
>> MNOs
>> in finding ways of addressing such crime. They can setup a joint bureau
>> deal with this. I mean, some cops can be seconded to a joint unit formed
>> and
>> funded by the MNOs to address such crimes, so that action can be taken
>> immediately. 30 minutes is so long in the electronic world. That theft
>> could
>> have been stopped.
>>
>> --
>> Best regards,
>> Odhiambo WASHINGTON,
>> Nairobi,KE
>> +254733744121/+254722743223
>>

> Esther does well to mention CCTV. 50K to 100K for a simple CCTV system may
> seem much to MPESA agents until they lose that amount in a day.
>
> Tying this thread to the digital media thread & Washington's comments
> about
> MNO's & the Police:
>
> Would it not be wiser to use CCTV footage of these kinds of incidents as
> Local Content -- Reality TV -- for Local Communities?
>
> How many cases are not followed up by the Police because Local Communities
> do not recognize (or follow up) their efforts?
>
> Why not use Reality TV to encourage them to perform better.
>
> Community policing will also help ID criminals in CCTV footage for the
> police to pursue & apprehend.
>
> Policing should be tied to local communities (villages, towns, cities,
> counties) that are here to stay... not MNO's.

> MailScanner,
> and is believed to be clean.
>
> +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>  UNIVERSITY OF NAIROBI IS ISO CERTIFIED
>
> The University of Nairobi is committed to providing quality services to
> all
> its clients. The University will monitor and review its quality
> performance
> from time to time through an effective implementation of the Quality
> Management System based on ISO 9001:2008 standard.

Dr George Nyabuga
Associate Director
School of Journalism & Mass Communication
University of Nairobi
Education Building
Harry Thuku Road
PO Box 30197 - 00100
Nairobi, Kenya
Tel: +254(0)20 318262 Fax: +254(0)20 2229168
Mobile: +254 (0)72151 6573
Email: gnyabuga at uonbi.ac.ke, gnyabuga at yahoo.co.uk
www.uonbi.ac.ke

and is believed to be clean.