[kictanet] SIM card registration status

Esther Muchiri emuchiri at andestbites.com
Thu Mar 24 10:34:39 EAT 2011

Sam, thanks for bringing up the subject. It was indeed sad to see on TV the
smartly dressed men walk into a shop and casually carry out their 'activity'
without people realizing! I pray to God that they will get caught - thanks
for the CCTV. However, what does this say about our society?

Recently when Safaricom was upgrading their system, some guy posing as a
Safaricom agent called an MPESA agent and guided him in keying some code on
his phone to complete the upgrade! What the Agent didn't know is that by
punching those keys (note -no amount was entered), a whole 120k was
transferred from his phone to the thief's phone! This was immediately
reported to MPESA but only 20k was recovered - the rest had been withdrawn
within 30 minutes. The case was also reported to the police immediately -
but the question is - what can the police do?

Someone please shed some light.