[kictanet] Digital media

bitange at jambo.co.ke bitange at jambo.co.ke
Wed Mar 23 20:25:32 EAT 2011

We have requested Treasury to remove duty on the set top box in the coming
budget.  Otherwise one would have to raise up to 5,000 in order to enjoy
digital TV.

Coverage mean that some 70% of Kenyans can watch digital TV if they have
the right gadgets.  We have a disbute resolution mechanism at the
Tribunal.  That is if we have a disbute with media.  The current problem
is with media owners.  The Government's position is that anybody with the
right mind has a right to access the public resource and broadcast.  We
cannot allow anybody to carry channels they cannot put into use.  And if
you use them terrestrially, the 40% local content is a MUST.  This how you
can get jobs to our unemployed brothers.  It is that simple and should not
in any way bring any disbute.

Regards

Ndemo.

> Thanks Daktari for the response. But does 70% coverage of the population
> mean people will have the necessary facilities to receive digital signals?
> Or does it mean that the signals will cover 70% of the country? I suppose
> there is a massive difference given the fact that TV has not diffused
> widely in Kenya.
>
> Does this also mean the problem that 'private commercial' broadcasters
> have had with the government, SmartTv and KBC over digital broadcasts will
> have been resolved?
>
> But I like your resolve to ensure the 2012 deadline is met.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> George
>

>> George Nyabuga,
>> Allow me to use Malcom X's words "By all means necessary" we shall have
>> national network by June 2012.  In the next three months we shall cove
>> at
>> least 70% of the population.
>>

>> Regards
>>

>> Ndemo.
>>

>>> The initial plan was to try Nairobi and its environs. The government
>>> had
>>> promised in December 2009 that digital services would be extended to
>>> other
>>> remote towns and cities like Webuye, Nyeri, Mombasa, Kisumu, Nakuru,
>>> Eldoret, Meru, Kisii and Malindi before the start of the 2010 World Cup
>>> in
>>> South Africa. It is now March 2011, and the services have not spread to
>>> beyond Kajiado, Machakos, Naivasha and Muranga, the areas covered at
>>> the
>>> launch by President Kibaki in December 2009.
>>>
>>> This has been not achieved due to lack of funds according to officials
>>> of
>>> Digital Kenya Secretariat at the Communication Commission of Kenya.
>>>
>>> At this rate, it is clear that the deadline of 2012 will not be met.
>>>
>>> George

dangerous content by Jambo MailScanner, and is
believed to be clean.