[kictanet] Orange hoodwinked on Telkom purchase (Odhiambo Washington)

Edwin Onchari eonchari at lynxbits.com
Wed Mar 23 09:12:49 EAT 2011

I have heard the story that Orange and PCK are having a hard time transitioning into commercial enterprises; there are just too many managers from the monopoly era when job holders performance wasn't an issue; one just required political patronage.

Competition, perhaps, along with a new culture brought in by new leadership may be the answer.

One last point: leadership in the telecoms sector is wholly held by people born outside Kenya; I am wondering what we have been doing for the last 47 years. Is it that we don't have people that fit the bill or because the change in ownership?

Dkt- on your last point, changes in ownership has a definite role in this, that said, we still do not wholly seem to believe in ourselves enough to entrust “born Kenyan” to take up top positions in such organizations.

A recent meeting with a someone “born outside of Kenya” and whom after working with for a while now - without a flinch noted that if I was to succeed in my business, I need to front my top managers with “born outside of Kenya” employees! (the individual is quite successful in getting an ear from many private and public institutions despite below par credentials)

To what extent this influences hiring in the industry?, I have no idea, but one thing is for sure, ever since I had the conversation, I have noted that the “born outside of Kenya” do get the doors opened – both in the private and public sectors - SADLY

Matunda Nyanchama, PhD, CISSP; mnyanchama at aganoconsulting.com
Agano Consulting Inc.;  www.aganoconsulting.com; Twitter:  <http://twitter.com/#%21/nmatunda> nmatunda;  Skype: okiambe
Be prepared to face ICT Security failures & know how to respond when they happen!
Call: +1-888-587-1150 or info at aganoconsulting.com
"A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk I have a workstation…" - Anonymous
This e-mail, including attachments, may be privileged and may contain confidential or proprietary information intended only for the addressee(s). Any other distribution, copying, use, or disclosure is unauthorized and strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and permanently delete the message, including any attachments, without making a copy. Thank you.