[kictanet] Bob Collymore; Yet to arrive

Wamuyu Gatheru wamuyu at soko-id.co.ke
Sun Mar 6 14:50:26 EAT 2011

Robert,

I watched Bob Collymore on the bench today. There were many great
things he said including about staff working 24 hrs to upgrade the
systems and how laying off of staff due to market changes will imply
management failure.

The comment that a primary school child in Kisumu does not know who
the President of Kenya was wrong. Kids in primary school (nursery
school and toddlers I may add) not only know the President but can
imitate him as well. Also while all the sky diving info was
interesting most Kenyans may not know what sky diving is.

Yes, culturally Bob has his work cut out. But perhaps he does'nt need
to do the work. He can accept that unlike Michael he is upper crust
and may never catch the pulse of wanainchi. He could create a posh but
caring CEO image that Kenyans can identify with - start flying
choppers to meetings in dark glasses, buy car models that are only
seen in movies, wear pink shirts with lavender ties, get the bling
going etc

If however, he does want to be a local, besides eating in Njuguna's
and visiting Kiamaiko, he can watch our great soaps. Actually, I
recommend these for Kenyans who could be loosing touch with the mass
culture. To catch up with what the kids are up to listen to 97.1 FM
(one FM), watch Machachari, Sakata (great dancing) and Tahidi High.
For all age groups watch Papa Shirandula, Mother in Law, the Wedding
Show and the energised evangelical programmes on Sunday morning. So
without getting too dusty in Kiamaiko, Bob can catch the Kenyan drift.

regards,
Wamuyu

--
Soko ID Co. Ltd
Tel: +254 (0)721 468699

Soko ID is an innovative company that supports public organisations
and promotes the Kenyan heritage on the internet.