[kictanet] Fwd: Jobs in Mobiles and Finance / Mobiles and Agriculture with GSMA in London

Alice Munyua alice at apc.org
Fri Mar 4 20:54:40 EAT 2011

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	Jobs in Mobiles and Finance / Mobiles and Agriculture with
GSMA in London
Date: 	Fri, 4 Mar 2011 15:52:17 +0000
From: 	Richard Heeks <richard.heeks at manchester.ac.uk>
To: 	Richard Heeks <richard.heeks at manchester.ac.uk>

      Job 1: Mobile Money for the Unbanked Programme Coordinator

Department Development Fund

Location London

Salary Competitive

Assesment Interview/psychometric

Reporting to Programme  Director

Deadline: 10th of March

*Description*

The MMU Coordinator role is primarily a role supporting the members of
the MMU team, as well as the various activities and programmes that the
MMU team runs. On top of this the chosen candidate will be expected to
contribute ideas for impactful mobile money industry events and
workshops with the rest of the MMU team and then will be responsible for
transforming these ideas into successful working sessions. This person
will be responsible for creating and issuing the agenda (with input from
the MMU team), preparing materials in advance, arranging logistics,
communicating with members and driving attendance to the each session
and also work with the Knowledge Manager to ensure that appropriate
content is effectively disseminated to the wider MM community post the
event. The MMU Coordinator will also be responsible for gathering
appropriate feedback and carrying out analysis on the data collected
from our stakeholders to ensure that we are effectively meeting their
needs, having the right impact and also suggesting ways to improve our
Programme activities so that we continue to raise the bar. There are
currently two main events each year, which the MMU Coordinator will be
expected to attend (currently planned for Singapore, June 2011), and
then approximately three regional events each year (across Asia, LatAm
and Africa -- Coordinator attendance TBC). They will also be responsible
for customer relationship management for the MMU Programme, ensuring a
database of our contacts is maintained and managed. They will also be
the first line of contact for queries from existing members or enquiries
from potential members of the MMU Programme. The MMU Coordinator will
support the Programme Manager to complete programme management tasks
such as status reporting, financial planning, etc., including tollgate
reporting to our sponsors at the Gates Foundation. They will also be
responsible for supplier contracting and managing the invoice payments
process with the Finance teams, to ensure all suppliers are contracted
and managed appropriately. They will also be responsible for supporting
the team during peak periods, either for administration support (e.g.
booking meetings, travel, etc.) or more ad hoc tasks (to be agreed with
the Coordinator and the Programme Manager). The MMU Coordinator will
also be responsible for ensuring that MMU is appropriately represented
in wider Mobile Money events, through ensuring good coordination with
their opposite number from the wider MM theme.

The MMU Coordinator will be an integral part of the MMU team and will be
exposed not only to the operational side of the Programme but also on
helping to shape our activities and strategy, e.g. they will be expected
to contribute ideas for how we can continue to increase our impact on
the mobile money industry. They will work closely with the Programme
Manager to ensure that the strategy and operational plans are regularly
reviewed and any modifications are effectively communicated to the wider
Development Fund and beyond as appropriate. The MMU Coordinator will
also be given their own MMU project to complete, which will require
research (this may be a primary research such as an interview for the
MMU Newsletter with a key player in the industry, or secondary research
based on existing published materials). The scope of this will be agreed
with the Programme Manager, based on the programme's needs as well as
the Coordinator's own interests and aspirations. They will have
significant exposure to the key players in the mobile money industry and
will be expected to have a keen interest in learning about the role of
mobile communications to bank the unbanked, and growing their own
network in this space. The MMU Coordinator will report to the Programme
Manager.

*Context*

GSMA -- Mobile Money for the Unbanked Programme (MMU) The MMU Programme
is sponsored by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. The goal of the
Programme is to provide mobile money services to 20 million new unbanked
people who are living on sub $2 per day by 2012. Furthermore, MMU will
strive for mobile money to 1) be considered mainstream business for
mobile operators, 2) be extensively available to those who have been
previously unbanked, and 3) extend the reach and reduce the costs for
formal financial services such as savings, insurance and credit. The
Programme will achieve its aims by working closely with key industry
bodies (regulatory bodies and financial institutions) as well as a
number of mobile network operators (GSMA members) who have the
opportunity to make the biggest impact within the mobile money space.
MMU will also work to raise advocacy for mobile money more broadly
within the industry, by ensuring that key industry developments,
learnings and best practice are appropriately packaged and shared. MMU
will convene the industry in a series of Working Groups and Sub-Groups,
in order to better understand and resolve key issues facing mobile
money. It will also provide grant funding to mobile money projects, in
order to foster innovation and accelerate deployments, and the MMU team
will work closely with these projects to ensure their success. The right
candidate will join a young, dynamic, high performing team (currently 5
people strong, from financial services, telecommunications and strategy
consulting backgrounds). There will be extensive travel opportunities,
particularly within developing markets across Asia, Latin America and
Africa.

*Criteria*

GSMA - The Person The role requires an individual who is a well
organized team player, with a desire to learn about mobile money and
play a role in supporting the development of this industry through our
Programme. Specifically:

- Drive and proactivity - demonstrates a "can do" attitude, and eager to
identify and suggest ways of improving existing processes

- Previous experience of working on a large Programme and knowledge of
programme management practices

- Very conscientious -- sets high personal standards and shows excellent
attention to detail

- Highly professional -- comfortable interacting with internal and
external stakeholders, including C-level executives

- Demonstrates a will to learn about the industry (by active
participation in team meetings, with questions or insight about MMU
industry)

- Good knowledge of MS Office (Excel, Word and Powerpoint)

- Basic analytical skills

- Able to quickly grasp new concepts and ideas

- Willingness to travel on an international basis

- Excellent cultural awareness and a desire to work with teams around
the world - language skills highly desirable

Click here to complete an application form for this position
https://infocentre.gsm.org/cgi-bin/jb_job_apply.cgi?jb_job_id=dev-lon-210&jb_job_category=Development
Fund
<https://infocentre.gsm.org/cgi-bin/jb_job_apply.cgi?jb_job_id=dev-lon-210&jb_job_category=Development%20Fund>

      Job 2: mAgri Coordinator

*Role Details*

      __

      Role Title:                   mAgri Coordinator

*Reporting
to:
mAgri Director*

Company:                   GSMA Development Fund

**

*            Location:                    London*

**

*About the GSMA Development Fund*

**

The GSMA Development Fund exists to accelerate economic, social and
environmental development through the use of mobile technology. We
believe that providing tangible, accessible mobile services to people in
developing countries is invaluable to society and can help improve
people's lives.

The Development Fund leverages the industry expertise of the GSMA and
its members, as well as the development expertise of international
agencies and non-profit organisations to accelerate mobile services in
six areas: Mobile Agriculture, Mobile Money for the Unbanked, Green
Power for Mobile, mWomen, Mobile Health and Mobile Learning.Together
with our partners, we incubate and replicate new mobile services in
communities where they can make a positive difference.

We believe that "doing good, is good business" and that with more than 3
billion users, 'base of the pyramid' markets are the future for mobile
growth and innovation. The mobile industry is therefore uniquely
positioned to deliver economic and social value to these markets.

In order to drive developments in this area the Development Fund's role
is to catalyse innovation, drive market scaling and increase knowledge
networking to achieve the following objectives:

·Increase the number of effective, scalable and replicable development
initiatives using mobile technology in emerging markets.

·Implement these initiatives in a scalable and sustainable fashion,
bringing socio-economic benefits to individuals and communities.

·Increase awareness among governments and the development community of
how GSM voice and data networks act as an agent of development and can
be used to bridge the digital divide.

http://www.gsmworld.com/developmentfund/index.shtml

**

*Programme Description *

**

**

GSMA -- Mobile Agriculture (mAgri)

The GSMA Development Fund's Mobile Agriculture (mAgri) initiative has
been established to catalyse the deployment of mobile solutions to serve
the agriculture sector. To date, focus has been to engage with mobile
operators and their partners to accelerate the availability of
agriculture information based services through mobile to farmers
(mFarmer services). In partnerships with the Bill and Melinda Gates
Foundation and the Rockefeller Foundation, the mAgri programme has
supported and piloted two projects in Africa and India.

We are due to launch a second phase of mAgri programme -- mFarmer
sponsored by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. The goal of the
mFarmer programme is to work with mobile network operators and partners
to support the launch of quality agricultural VAS that will be accessed
by over 2 million smallholder farmers.

The programme aims to provide a sustainable way for farmers to obtain
critical life-enhancing agricultural information that can help them
improve their farm productivity and income.

The mFarmer programme will achieve its aims by working closely with
mobile network operators (GSMA members) and other public and private
sector agriculture organisations who are implementing agricultural VAS.
Through an open application process, the mFarmer programme will award
challenge funds, technical assistance and an electronic content database
to selected mFarmer projects, in order to foster innovation and
accelerate deployments. The mAgri team will work closely on the ground
with these projects to ensure their success. The mAgri team will also
work to raise advocacy for mobile agriculture more broadly within the
industry, by ensuring that key industry developments, learnings and best
practices are appropriately packaged and shared; and convene the
industry in order to better understand and resolve key issues facing
mobile agriculture initiatives.

The right candidate will join a newly forming, young, dynamic, high
performing team.  There will be travel opportunities, particularly
within Sub-Saharan Africa.

*Role Description*

**

**

The role will encompass:

·*Programme management support*(40%) - the mAgri Coordinator will work
with the mAgri team to create a robust programme management structure to
support the new programme and will be actively involved in tasks such as
status reporting and financial reporting. They will be responsible for
supplier contracting and managing the invoice payments process with the
Finance teams, to ensure all suppliers are contracted and managed
appropriately. They will support the grant management co-ordination and
work closely with the grant management partner and applicants. They will
also be responsible for customer relationship management for the mAgri
Programme, ensuring a database of our contacts is maintained and
managed. They will be the first line of contact for queries from
existing members or enquiries from potential members of the mAgri
Programme. They will also be responsible for supporting the team during
peak periods, either for administration support (e.g. booking meetings,
travel, etc.) or more ad hoc tasks (to be agreed with the Coordinator
and the Programme Director).

·*Marketing support (20%) *- The mAgri Coordinator will work closely
with the mAgri team and marketing team to raise the profile of the mAgri
programme. They will be responsible for co-ordinating marketing plans,
establishing and maintaining the presence of the mAgri programme
on-line, studying industry trends, and co-ordinating knowledge
management with the wider team.  The mAgri Coordinator will be an
integral part of the mAgri team and will be exposed not only to the
operational side of the Programme but also on helping to shape our
activities and strategy, and they will be expected to contribute ideas
for how we can continue to increase our impact on the mAgri industry.
They will work closely with the Programme Director to ensure that the
strategy and operational plans are regularly reviewed and any
modifications are effectively communicated to the wider Development Fund
and beyond as appropriate.

·*Events and workshop co-ordination*(20%) - The mAgri Coordinator will
work with the mAgri team to create successful knowledge transfer
sessions (for example, working groups, webinars, workshops). This person
will be responsible for all logistical planning and execution including
issuing the agenda (with input from the mAgri team), preparing materials
in advance, arranging logistics, communicating with members and driving
attendance to the each session and also work with the mAgri team to
ensure that appropriate content is effectively disseminated to the wider
mAgri community pre, during and post the event. The mAgri Coordinator
will also be responsible for gathering appropriate feedback and carrying
out analysis on the data collected from our stakeholders to ensure that
we are effectively meeting their needs, having the right impact and also
suggesting ways to improve our Programme activities so that we continue
to raise the bar.

The person will have significant exposure to the key players in the
mobile agriculture industry and will be expected to have a keen interest
in learning about the role of mobile communications to serve the
agriculture sector, and growing their own network in this space.

The mAgri co-ordinator will also spend 20% of their time supporting the
GSMA Development Fund more widely and helping to co-ordinate GSMA
Development Fund cross-programme activities, as directed by the Managing
Director of the Development Fund.

*GSMA Package*

**

**

Salary band £28-£35k, subject to experience

Bonus up to 10% of salary

The GSMA is able to provide suitably motivated candidates with a first
class working environment, access to all of the key decision makers in a
one of the planets largest and most progressive industry's and the
content to keep a curious mind engaged. Many of our alumni have now
taken key roles in the development of the industry.

How to apply

Name:

Clare Kibbey

Contact form or email:

jobs at gsm.org

Application deadline:

Fri, 25/03/2011

      Job 3: mAgri Manager

*Role Details*

Role Title: mAgri Manager

Reporting to: mAgri Director

Company: GSMA Development Fund

Location: Sub-Saharan Africa (location tbd)

[...]

sponsored by the Bill

and Melinda Gates Foundation. The goal of the mFarmer programme is to
[...]

Th right candidate will join a newly forming, young, dynamic, high
performing team.

*Programme Description*

The GSMA Development Fund is seeking a dynamic and experienced
professional to work as a

manager across multiple mFarmer projects in Sub-Saharan Africa and India.

The role will encompass:

? Technical Assistance (70%) -- work directly with potential grantees to
develop grant

applications (which will include operational and business plans for the
mFarmer

projects) that can be presented to the Fund Panel. Support operators
which have

received funding from the mFarmer Fund and work onsite as a
consultant/technical

advisor to develop and implement their service strategy, robust business and

operational plans, share lessons learned in other markets, and
troubleshoot key

challenges. Ensure the agricultural service is designed and implemented
to provide a

high-quality of service and impact to farmers; and can be scaleable and
sustainable.

Provide IT/systems assistance for the integration of an electronic
content database.

Develop and manage key stakeholders relationships critical for the
programme's

success, including mobile phone operators, value added service
providers, agriculture

institutes and donor agencies. Understand and develop new business
models and

partnerships.

? Best practice and knowledge sharing (15%) -- Help define the overall
GSMA mAgri

advocacy strategy. Extract key learnings and analytics from each mFarmer
project

deployment and raise advocacy for mobile agricultural services more
broadly within the

industry, by ensuring that key industry developments, learnings and best
practices are

appropriately packaged and shared. This could be in the form of writing
case studies and

online reports and conducting knowledge sharing sessions via working
groups, webinars

and workshops (in collaboration with the other mAgri team members).

? Programme and project monitoring (15%) -- Define project plans,
milestones and

success measures; prepare timely and comprehensive analysis of progress
against

metrics and milestones. Prepare progress and financial reports, as
required. Manage

third party monitoring and evaluation services. Liaise with a third
party grant

management organisation to contract grants and ensure contractual
obligations are

met.

*Role Description*

- Consultancy and business development experience

- Outstanding general and project management skills

- Excellent interpersonal, communication and presentation skills

- Proven track record of achievement under a range of challenging
situations (ideally in

multiple countries, especially developing countries)

- Experienced or passionate in agriculture development and the role of
mobile technology

- Experience of the mobile telecoms sector and development sector is
desirable

- Experience of designing or implementing new IT systems is desirable

- Excellent relationship management and cultural awareness skills, able
to work equally

well in a CEO boardroom or a local village

- Driven, proactive and conscientious professional

- Excellent analytical skills

jobs at gsm.org

Application deadline:

Fri, 25/03/2011