[kictanet] Of Vision 2030 and Misplaced Priorities

Victor Gathara vgathara at vimak.co.ke
Wed Jun 29 13:44:44 EAT 2011

Barrack,

I did attend the breakfast meeting and gave my view on the meeting in an
earlier post (as did James Ratemo as I recall).

The meeting basically showcased Safaricom's mhealth platform hosted on the
cloud (very much along the lines of Microsoft HealthVault and Google Health)
as well as some interesting applications such as Dial a Doc, m-pedigree,
Cisco's health presence, and Samsung's Dr Smart. There was an ehealth
application demonstrated too though it would need customising. All
interesting but no quick wins for public health. There wasn's much technical
discussion as the plenary was short and not so well attended.

The government dignitaries made the right noises about fast tracking ehealth
and mhealth initiatives (the positive news was that the ehealth strategy is
complete and is set for launch soon).

Safaricom did promise to continue the discussion online though I presume
this hasn't taken off (or I am not in the loop).

Regarding Malaria I am particularly interested in what can be done to
improve disease surveillance and data collection. What systems can be used
to monitor how well interventions e.g nets, spraying  are working. Any
mobile applications out there?

Victor