[kictanet] Yawe for Post Master General - Aluta Continua

robert yawe robertyawe at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Jun 29 12:34:57 EAT 2011

1: Why do you think you are more qualified than the existing management?

The postal business worldwide has changed radically over the past couple of
years and change I have followed closely while looking at parallels with PCK yet
the current management are still stuck in the 16th century.

As a management their emphasis is on none core expenditure and supporting
systems that no longer add value who would have been better provided if
outsourced.  This is the typical approach of a TKK culture where many look to
benefit themselves and their cronies through projects that are difficult to
quantity after they are complete.

I do not want to make it seem like the management is incompetent, there are
brilliant minds within PCK but without the right leadership and support they
will get frustrated and most likely decide to join the bandwagon of the many.

Turning around a large archaic organisation requires more than a dream or a
vision, it requires the right team with the right attitude and a shared vision.
 Many have written off PCK and are hovering around like Vultures waiting for its
eminent death so as to soar down and devour the carcass.

The path to profitability for PCK has already been documented through various
fora and more recently the free study by IBM is still gathering dust on the
various shelves all because the recipients only see a letter delivery service
when they look at the corporation.

2: Other than existing infrastructure that Posta has, have you also looked at
the debts of the corporation to see the worthiness of the business?

With the current level of resources Posta has it can comfortably meet its debt
and other obligations such as pension arrears through the productive application
of those resources.

Selling off the assets, as seems to be the direction currently being pursued by
the board of directors and sanctioned by the government, will not resolve the
long term issues of the corporation but most likely hasten its demise.

I hope that the sale of its land to Airtel & IBM will be stopped as to me a PPP
or DBOT would be a more sustainable approach.  Unfortunately I suspect that the
horses have bolted in that one and I would need to look into other avenues.

3: Why don't you create a new Posta? Raise capital and use a network of existing
businesses in the country.

Posta was formed by an act of parliament i the same way as was done with other
similar entities around the world for the main reason that it has a social
responsibility of making sure that we do not create a divide as continues to
happen in other areas such as Internet
access. http://www.posta.co.ke/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=71&Itemid=169

Creating a new Posta under a different dispensation will mean that it shall not
enjoy the current preferential tariffs that are only available to national
postal organisations including USPS.  Immediately we form a profit only driven
organisation the current divide that exists in the current will become extremely
wide.  USPS exists in the US for specifically the same reason that PCK does, to
level the playing field.

Imagine if we charged for mail delivery based on distance covered within the
country then you will end up disenfranchising over 90% of the population.  I
would strengthen the EMS service, which would more than comfortably compete with
all other courier services, and use it to generate the additional revenue
required while keeping the standard postal service at a flat rate as required by
the UPU.

The assets that are in the custody of PCK are public resources and letting it
die is as bad condoning the theft of free primary education funds.  Your parents
and their parents gave to build the organisation why would we want to let all
that go to nowt just to punish the current generation to fund a new entity
either directly through investing or indirectly through high charges?

In closing, your suggestion to set-up a new organisation boils down to what
is referred to as "implementing personal solutions to public problems".

I hope I have answered your questions exhaustively and look forward to your
support in giving PCK  new and lasting lease of life.

Regards

Am sure others can add more questions these are to start?

Hi Listers,

--
Joe Mũcherũ
Regional Lead, Sub-Saharan Africa

+254 20 360 1701 Office
+254 20 360 1100 Fax
+254 20 360 1000 Switch Board (Regus)

+254 722522135 Mobile

http://www.google.com

This email may be confidential or privileged.  If you received this
communication by mistake, please don't forward it to anyone else, please erase
all copies and attachments, and please let me know that it went to the wrong
person.  Thanks.