[kictanet] Kenya ICT Board & vision 2030 Video on Fibre Optic and emerging opportunities in the ICT Sector

Barrack Otieno otieno.barrack at gmail.com
Sat Jun 25 14:00:15 EAT 2011

Listers,

I just watched the above mentioned presentation on Citizen Tv and i must
commend all involved in the production for a great job, however i have the
following observations:

The advert looks a bit alien yet it is meant to capture the attention of
 Mwananchi in Mararal, why cant we consider the use of local languages say
Kiswahili, at least an average villager can understand the Language.

Secondly i was hoping there would be a component to advocate for
preservation of the cable as a strategic national resource, you will all
agree with more homes embracing Fibre and triple pay services, downtime will
be intolerable in the near future, the key problem has been vandalism, why
cant we educate the public to desist from such in the same breath, i
remember participating in a radio interview with an international station
when the Seacom cable landed and they asked me to do it in Swahili, it took
me a back but the strategy was clear, educating the common man in a language
they understand.

I remember Robert Yawe raising the issue of communication strategy in a
recent meeting we had on Digital Villages, hence my reason for raising the
flag hopefully before the billboards and newspaper adverts go out there.

--
Barrack O. Otieno
Afriregister Ltd (Kenya)