[kictanet] Newest Name for AID ? Impact Sourcing ...

Andrea Bohnstedt andrea.bohnstedt at ratio-magazine.com
Tue Jun 21 18:22:51 EAT 2011

Admittedly I'm feeling a bit ranty about this. Successful countries have
created a successful private sector with plain-vanilla, for-profit
companies. They employ people, train people, pay taxes, provide products and
services. If you make profits, the sky is the limt. If you don't, your reach
is restricted by the amount of subsidies/donations you get. None of these
endless and headline-grabbing contortions of impact sourcing/impact
investing/refugees/marginalised youth/social entrepreneurship. Good grief.

I've been commissioned to write an article on mobile 'buzzwords' in emerging
markets. The commissioning editor suggested including txteagle. I wasn't
convinced to start with, but have tried to find out a bit more how txteagle
actually works (beyond the claims of 100+ corporate partnerships with
telcos, and a 2bn+ potential network of people). If anone here has done any
work with them, I'd appreciate a direct email - I can't actually figure it
out from their website.

In the meantime, I've assemble a list of topics/'buzzwords' that are mostly
a lot more focused on straightforward business and investment issues. Just
to show that yes, Africa can actually be perfectly dull in a familiar way:
corporates, suits, boardrooms, accountants, stuff. It's not all touching
refugees in camps and marginalised youth.

Rant over. Off to find some chocolate.