[kictanet] mHealth Breakfast

robert yawe robertyawe at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Jun 16 13:59:54 EAT 2011

Hi Listers,

The information provided at the mHealth Breakfast was a confirmation that the
infrastructure is in place, I also read an article in the CIO EA margazine June
2011 issue, of which I am a columnist - but do I say, about the initiative by
CBS called Labware an indication that the infrastructure is being exploited.

Those under 24 year old's out there in colleges and other institutions of
learning do not wait to leave campus to make a mark in this emerging market,
when the infrastructure meets the devolved government the only way is up for
those who will be able to leverage on this platforms.

I will not pretend to know where the opportunities are but my gut feeling is
there are out there in plenty waiting for you to just bend and pick them up.  As
an infrastructure provider Safaricom has played its part, the ball is no longer
in their court.

The HMO's and principally NHIF need to look at mHealth and eHealth initiatives
as its to their benefit and will have a direct effect on their bottom lines.
 For too long we have concentrated on curative medicine it is time to transition
to preventive medicine.

Widely distributed diagnostic facilities that can upload the data into the cloud
is the foundation for better healthcare for all as ones the data is available
across institutions we shall be able to prevent the high cases of drug
interference as ways brought home in a previous post.  The dial a doctor
facility can only become a reality when there is a common depository of my
medical records, patients have a tendency to suffer from selective amnesia when
it comes to post illnesses.

Early and correct diagnosis can only happen with the availability of
diagnostics, we need to move away from the witch doctor approach and to a more
scientific method especially now with the profession and professionals becoming
endangered.

A mistreated sore throat in a child that would have cost 500/- to treat can lead
to a heart condition that could be fatal or requires over 1 Million to treat.

I will keep watching this space as I look for opportunities to supply
something tangible, like an IP enabled ultrasound scanner and X-Ray machine, so
when you youngsters are developing your applications remember me.

Regards
 Robert Yawe
KAY System Technologies Ltd
Phoenix House, 6th Floor