[kictanet] Travails with Mpesa

Francis Hook francis.hook at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 13:07:02 EAT 2011

I'm averse to using this list to vent issues but cognizant that
sometimes customer service issues only seem to be addressed here,
allow me to air something.

A friend sent me money by Mpesa on 29th May - I was in Uganda at the
time and only managed to get around to claiming the cash over a week
later.   I notice the SMS notification clearly states the cash must be
claimed "within seven days".    The agent I went to indicated the
transaction should have been reversed and the money credited back to
the sender.  That was not the case.  The sender was advised to advise
me to call 234 or 0722 002234 so a new voucher/coupon/code could be
re-issued.

Called 234 (using my wife's line), went through the prompts and was on
hold for 15 minutes.   Called 0722 002234 and went through the motions
and the final words I heard were something like "all our agents are
busy" and got disconnected.

Finally I wrote, on 13th June, to support at safaricom.co.ke and I am
still waiting (for Godot?).

--