[kictanet] Universal Access?

Francis Hook francis.hook at gmail.com
Wed Jun 15 10:23:10 EAT 2011

Abt 2 years ago CCK tendered  for a Universal Access study and I
believe it covered some of the issues like having a GIS driven system
to assess all sorts of infrastructure (elec, post offices, GSM, fixed
networks, fibre etc).   Also to define what parameters (and which
organ) would be used to disurse the funds.

Did this study take off? Anyone on the list from CCK who can enlighten us?

On 14/06/2011, warigia bowman <warigia at aucegypt.edu> wrote:
> I vote for bushnetworking
>

> On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 1:00 PM, McTim <dogwallah at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 6/14/11, Crystal Watley Kigoni <crystal at voicesofafrica.org> wrote:
>> > @walu I have been shouting about this for years.
>> >
>> > But rather than expecting the big companies to do it, why don't we
>> > create
>> > the policy environment for community owned micro- ISPs? Create a mesh
>> > network that can actually bring increased income to the people who use
>> it?
>> > As I always have said, Nairobi is not ALL of Kenya and we are leaving
>> > our
>> > villages behind.
>>
>> Spot on madame!
>>
>> Either we have a USF and accompanying regs, or we let people do
>> bush-networking on a small scale, using the Village
>> Telco/OpenBTS/AfriMesh/whatever they choose.
>>

>> --
>> Cheers,
>>
>> McTim
>> "A name indicates what we seek. An address indicates where it is. A
>> route indicates how we get there."  Jon Postel

>> for
>> people and institutions interested and involved in ICT policy and
>> sector in support of the national aim of ICT enabled growth and
>> development.

Francis Hook
+254 733 504561