[kictanet] Universal Access?

Walubengo J jwalu at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 14 10:26:58 EAT 2011

Am somewhere 15km from Embu, some Masinga Dam resort (the provincial hq of Eastern Province).  And there is no internet to talk about here!  The ping test to google.com gives a return trip of 60,000ms compared to in Nairobi of 300ms. In layman terms access to the Net, 15km from Embu is 200times slower than in Nairobi.

This is a classic example of the internal digital divide between the urban and the rural environments.  At a policy level, the Universal Access Policy and regualtions were supposed to address this imbalance. How far did this (not) go?

Am ofcourse on Safcom Modem, the others Airtel, Yu produce the same unreliability. And dont ask me about Telkom Orange...because their internet  doesnt  seem to feature in these parts of the world ;-)

walu.
send from my transmission "tree" after 1hr of trying.