[kictanet] Zuku (DTH) TV -- 3 transponders over NSS12 satellite East Africa Beam

aki aki275 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 31 22:49:29 EAT 2011

Seems Zuku TV already have 2 transponders on NSS12 satellite ( SES ), while
the third could be for VSAT apps ( am assuming will be iDirect X3 ). The two
Zuku TV active (unconfirmed) transponders are on Ku Band 11105Mhz ( FTA
channels 18-50 ) & 11604Mhz ( CryptoWorks encryption channels 56-81 ). I
read somewhere that final target will be 80 channels.

We are already on the way to DTT, I wonder why Wananchi would choose to go
back to satellite which means end users will have to invest in Ku-Band sat
dishes, LNBs, dish mounts, installation teams with spectrum analyzers and
not to forget that during the rainy season we can expect Ku Band not to
behave too well? With DTT, just one antenne and dvb is needed, come rain or
sunshine.

My knowledge of this sector is very rusty therefore I'd like to request if
we have any broadcast engineers onlist who would care to share some insights
into DTT versus Sat Transponder spacing and costing. Is it not much cheaper
to go DTT on 8Mhz spacing with Mpeg4 than Sat Transponder spacing with Mepg
2? The other reason I ask is the VSAT transponder that Wananchi have chosen
over NSS12, when will it be possible for us to create teleports right here
in kenya with facilities for inland nations so that we not only use the
national infrastructure but also provide extra services.

Congratulations to Wananchi on such a commited project and hope it will be
of success in the long term.

Corrections are welcome. :-)

Thank you.