[kictanet] [Skunkworks] Tandaa Local Content Grants call for submissions

aki aki275 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 21 23:41:49 EAT 2011

Dear Paul,

Very nice work by KICTB this year, and well thought out too. Inclusion of
the establised companies, grant size and the business traning is a big step
forward. However, I see creation of core systems/platforms are still out of
reach as I was unable to read any requirements of both google-kenya hansard
digitization and socrata open data platforms. This is fine for now, as it
gives ample time to study both systems for requirements and see what we can
do next year about them. I hope some are already aware of the systems, so
will apply.

In the meantime, I'd like to once again suggest some projects with any
prospectee grant participants ( if they are willing to take up ) for this
year's grants, which are based on datasets or data from within various
sectors:

1) Anti-Famine National application :  The application will work with
National data on e.g. grain silos to farm outputs and storage facilites. The
application will provide an accurate anaylsis and display the various data
in a dashboard form, with the eventual integration of realtime data flow
using the national fiber optic network or cellphone networks. Monthly
reports of realtime data will also be produced for archive basis.

2) Health Care based application: The developer company will pick a major
hospital outside Nairobi based on datasets. Create an
efficient in-patient/out-patient, child care and emergency,
doctors database, where portions can be accessed on mobile at a later stage.
The in-house pharmacy must be automated with bar-code reader/printer, that
also checks drugs expiry, and finally inventory control against theft or
misuse. This application will produce monthly reports to be shared with
doctors and ministry of health.

3) Missing Persons/Children and Kenyan IDPs application : To be used
nationally, automate registration and create a ticket tracking system that
allocates unique case identifiers. The application must be easy to use with
pages for familiy details, allow upload of passport size photogs, case
details. The application must be accessible by security agencies,
emergency services teams and those who work with cases. The application must
be secure, allow progress tracking of cases logged in and must be searchable
by either ticket unique id, or any family details.

Thank you.