[kictanet] Digital TV signal Distribution row

bitange at jambo.co.ke bitange at jambo.co.ke
Thu Jul 21 19:11:42 EAT 2011

Philip,
TV signal distribution is a backbone service that can be done even by any
telco.  The issuance of channels is the preserve of CCK.  There are
regulations governing the sector where by the distributor cannot hold more
than 20% of the channels. There is no room where any distributor can
dominate the market.

We now have the greatest opportunity to address the mistakes we made
before with spectrum management by allowing as many Kenyans to own the
channels as possible.  This is the reason why we are giving 3 signal
distributor licences.  It will bring the necessary competion that will
benefit the consumer.

Our job is to balance consumer interests and those of the investor.  There
is no policy to dis=criminate against any country let alone China.  If it
was, then the entire telkom sector will have to be sold to locals.
Whether we can afford it is another matter but it would not be a prudent
policy in country that needs FDI.

I had told the local broadcasters to make a case for a review considering
the investment they have made in which case we shall give the third
licence to them but it seems they had a nother agenda.  You recall we have
been at this before when another foreign enterprises tried to bring
competition.

Further the more channels we have, the more employment we create since any
free to air channell must have at least 40% local content.  Any one will
understand this simple explanation of our intentions.  It is unfortunate
that some of you are used to advance an agenda that is contra to your long
term needs.  Ni Mungu tu atatusaidia.

Regards

Ndemo.