[kictanet] Digital TV signal Distribution row

S.Murigi Muraya murigi.muraya at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 15:59:20 EAT 2011

Not sure if 20% "local ownership" is a legal requirement in this case but
NTV pointed it as lacking in the firm that won the bid.

At least local ownership such as "Mobitelea" is not evident yet.

China would never allow this in their territories. They require that Chinese
be strategically involved / positioned to acquire technical knowledge from
any FDI in their nation..

We also know a few years the US (Congress) had issues with Arab shareholders
in firms involved with their ports. National security before free trade...
On Jul 20, 2011 3:23 PM, "Stephen Mutoro" <stephen at cofek.co.ke> wrote:
> I don’t think that China is the real issue. They can only come in if there
is a vacuum and of course their clique pushing for them. Much as I
sympathize with local appeal losers solely on the need to protect our
sovereignity, and especially where the procurement process is above board to
allow for competitiveness – whether local or international. The new
Competition Act - 504, is a call to action for all – Govt (MOIC etc),
parastatals, sector regulators including CCK to appreciate that a “big
brother” Called Competition Authority will soon be watching over them and
that it will have enough powers to enhance competition and protect
consumers.

> It is not clear whether the Chinese firm and/or the local bidders are
competitive and whether both parties would enhance consumer protection as
relates to digital broadcasting. If I were the local bidders, I’d have not
have bid especially if I doubted the authenticity of process and specs – I’d
have contested then. Apart from diplomatic challenges, Kenya will appear as
an anti-competitive market for international bidders should the Courts stop
the Chinese firm. As a country, we need to take some lessons here.

kictanet-bounces+stephen=cofek.co.ke at lists.kictanet.or.ke] On Behalf Of
Joseph McDonald

http://www.businessdailyafrica.com/Corporate+News/Nation++Royal+Media+lose+appeal+for+signal+distribution+licence/-/539550/1204274/-/14gbqmu/-/index.html
,

http://lists.kictanet.or.ke/mailman/options/kictanet/philip.adar%40gmail.com

>>> for
>>> people and institutions interested and involved in ICT policy and
>>> sector in support of the national aim of ICT enabled growth and
>>> development.

>>> online that you follow in real life: respect people's times and
bandwidth,
>>> share knowledge, don't flame or abuse or personalize, respect privacy,
do

>> --
>> Regards
>>
>> Philip Adar

http://lists.kictanet.or.ke/mailman/options/kictanet/mcdonaldoj%40gmail.com

for people and institutions interested and involved in ICT policy and
regulation. The network aims to act as a catalyst for reform in the ICT
sector in support of the national aim of ICT enabled growth and development.

online that you follow in real life: respect people's times and bandwidth,
share knowledge, don't flame or abuse or personalize, respect privacy, do
not spam, do not market your wares or qualifications.