[kictanet] It's the season of the animal migration in the mara, how many knew?

Francis Hook francis.hook at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 16:14:04 EAT 2011

If I may play devil's advocate:
1 - What would streaming  live by webcam do to the local communities (incl
the tour companies, drivers, waiters, hoteliers, curio shops, etc) that rely
on REAL LIVE visitors visiting the Mara to bring them income?
2 - What will it do to the REAL EXPERIENCE of waiting and waiting for the
stampede to start (which in turns means longer occupancy/stays/etc)?   I
think its like shooting a fish in a barrel - no fun at all - esp for the
communities that stand to benefit.   The tech savvy will simply monitor the
herds and once they start moving, airlift visitors to the site - I think it
kills the suspense and sense of expectancy (ergo diminishes the experience).
3 - Should we always leverage technology no matter what?  Technology for
technologies sake?

Just my two wildebeest trophies....with a crocodile's smug grin...

On 19 July 2011 13:29, warigia bowman <warigia at aucegypt.edu> wrote:

> My husband has a safari company.
>
> www.wildcatssafaris.com
>

> http://www.magicalkenya.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=124&Itemid=228
>
> So, I am on board with this idea. Let me know how I can help.
>
> Rigia
>
> On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 5:01 AM, aki <aki275 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> @Judy, thank you very much. I agree on KE and its views are truly awesome,
>> Lake Nakuru and the (baboon) view point is another truly amazing place.
>> Reachable by even a normal car, its well worth the trip. I think in the long
>> term we need telcos/isps to think about creating data traffic based on how
>> the world sees KE. They can even create the systems, because wherever there
>> is a tower in the park, it basically hosts all the facilities. The
>> technology is there to be used. I'm stuck in my own time zone unfortunately,
>> i.e on creating my own systems that will add functionality across our
>> networks but this all takes much time and stubbornly I refuse to use any
>> vendors because of serious setbacks I've seen over the years. Hopefully some
>> day my work will be used as a platform. However, I'll gladly share any
>> online contributions on such subjects that may also help others achieve
>> their own systems or ideas. :-)
>>
>> Rgds.
>>

>> On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 12:41 PM, Judy Okite <judyokite at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> @Aki, I am so with you, we visited Lake Nakuru, a few weeks back, with my
>>> friends, and it is awesome!  and we lightly touched on the very same issue,
>>> of IP traffic, but the conversation almost came to an end at the point of,
>>> who will climb that tree to put the webcam? :-)
>>>
>>> we live in an awesome country, with awesome view and we can discuss this
>>> further, just let me know...this is great!
>>>
>>> Kind Regards,

Francis Hook
+254 733 504561